Windy Goodhands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy Goodhands

Today I hosted a kayak outing of the Free State Fly Fishers at Goodhands Creek.

Our group caught lots of white perch and one member caught a 26 inch striper on top-water -- albeit with conventional tackle. Still, it was an impressive catch on any tackle.

We launched to a high tide, soon to fall. Conditions were ideal with one exception, the wind. We had double digit sustained wind from the north, gusting to near 20 mph.

Nevertheless, with perseverance a fly fisher can prevail in the wind.

I stuck with my long rod although I was sorely tempted to use the spinning tackle I carried.

In addition to the ubiquitous white perch, I got a spirited little striper on a Clouser Minnow:

P1010985.jpg

But my surprise catch was this fish, also on the Clouser:

P1010987.jpg

It's the first flounder I have ever caught on the fly.

Afterward, our group met for lunch at Harris Crab House. I celebrated my odd catch with a flounder sandwich!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Glad you had a good day and caught the flounder. I remember catching two in the Severn on a clouser and sinking line.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
      Glad you had a good day and caught the flounder. I remember catching two in the Severn on a clouser and sinking line.
      Thanks Harry.

I remember that day you caught those flounders on the fly. I was as surprised then as I was today.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X