19" Striper scores hardest strike I've ever had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19" Striper scores hardest strike I've ever had

I was retrieving a Rapala XR10 near some sunken structure and BAM! My first thought was a really big bluefish. Shortly after the strike I felt the telltale quick head pops of a smaller striper and the rest of the fight was pretty pedestrian. However, my right hand is still sore from the impact of the strike.

I ended up limiting out on the day with a 20" and a 21.5" but neither of them had as much piss in their pants as the 19". I put him back for you guys. I don't know what it was about it, but it felt like a car accident reverberated through my fishing rod.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Thats awesome! I always love the shorts that bring it. Kinda like the little guy that bit a lure the same size as overall length! I hope your right hand gets better
    XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
    Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Sweet feeling! I had a 17" today that when I pulled the rod out of the holder it pulled so hard it nearly ripped the rod out of my hands, thought he was a keeper for sure. Never had that happen. Must be getting feisty with the cooler temps!
      WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Hawg and Wood: Good going! Nothing like feeling that reel click out.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Last fall I had a strike trolling an XR14 XRap that darn near stopped my Outback in its tracks- like hitting a stump with the Mirage Drive...pulling big crankbaits, I have a fairly tight drag to drive the big single Owner hooks home...and the 19 inch "football" stripers that are fully filled out are powerful...Albert Einstein- Energy equals mass times acceleration squared...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Last fall I had a strike trolling an XR14 XRap that darn near stopped my Outback in its tracks- like hitting a stump with the Mirage Drive...pulling big crankbaits, I have a fairly tight drag to drive the big single Owner hooks home...and the 19 inch "football" stripers that are fully filled out are powerful...Albert Einstein- Energy equals mass times acceleration squared...
            Wow! I bet-you that guy had a sore mouth when you let him go........

Best Regards,
            Stan

Comment

We were catching 23-27 inch fish that day Stan...no big fish, but lots of frisky, legal fish...once we found them we stopped trolling and cast to them with the big crankbaits...after a dozen or so, you really are wore out and ready for a nap...looking forward to that fishery...Got into them some Monday but not like they were that day...they were schooled up on a ball of bait in 12 FOW...and the XR14 was what they wanted- were not on top water
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                "Football stripers" is an apt term for the fish I caught. Short but powerful. Like a fullback. Probably weighed more than a lot of keepers.
                Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp

Comment

I will say that this is the hardest strike I've ever had with the pole in my hand. Not the hardest I've ever had while fishing. That prize goes to a fish this March. I was trolling an X-RAP 8 in about 12 ft of water on the mid bay and the poll bent nearly in half instantly and snapped the 20lb mono leader within 2 secs of the strike. I wasn't even able to get my hands to the reel in the Scotty. It was over before it started.
                  Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                  Mercury 6hp

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
                    I will say that this is the hardest strike I've ever had with the pole in my hand. Not the hardest I've ever had while fishing. That prize goes to a fish this March. I was trolling an X-RAP 8 in about 12 ft of water on the mid bay and the poll bent nearly in half instantly and snapped the 20lb mono leader within 2 secs of the strike. I wasn't even able to get my hands to the reel in the Scotty. It was over before it started.
                    Bummer!!! The dumbest thing I have done this season, is that I caught a huge rock fish last month. Must have been 124-26 inches. I got my tape measure, put the fish on my lap, the started to pull out the tape. Just then the fish started to flop like crazy. Before I could get a grip on it, the fish was over board. Man, I was upset.

Best Regards,
                    Stan

Comment

Haha, I've lost a few like that! When it's a really nice fish, I keep the hook in the fishes mouth until I measure and/or put it on the stringer if I plan on keeping it. That way if the fish gets floppy, I have a safeguard.
                      Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                      Mercury 6hp

Comment

Working...
                      X