Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hummingbird Fish Finder Review (AWSOME Technology)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummingbird Fish Finder Review (AWSOME Technology)

I recently replaced the fish finder on my bass fishing kayak. My buddy got a new 7" Garmin for his yak so I had to keep up with the Joneses.

I have a Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp on my one yak, an Elite 4 on another and I have a couple of big Garmins in my boat. So I have a little experience with a couple different brands. My previous boat had a Hummingbird that I really liked but it seems everyone will tell you the other big names are better.

The big Garmins bring some neat features such as integration via Ethernet and AIS tracking via a VHF radio connection. They are way overkill for a kayak and frankly cost as much or more than most high end yaks.

I did a little reading and decided to take the plunge with a 5" Hummingbird. I didn't feel the need to step up to a 7" screen as I wanted to get a full day of fishing on a battery including power pole use. I thought the Hummingbird Helix 5si was the unit for me and no other manufacturer could even come close to its features for the price point.

I used it for the first time this weekend and couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Here are a couple side imaging shots I got.

This is a sunken boat I went by.

Here are some fish stacked on some structure. There is no visible indication on the waters surface that any of the structure shown anywhere on this image exists.

Here is what it looks like as I go from a natural shoreline to a bulkhead.

This is the bulk head in the above image.

Another neat feature that the unit has is the ability to make a depth contour chart just by going over the area. You may notice some of the images have a contour chart in the right pane. These were drawn on the fly as I was paddling along. The two ponds I was at were not even on the map and now I have a detailed chart for these ponds.

Notice how detailed they are. These are old mill ponds and you can see square structures outlined. I assume these are old foundations. Being square they are obviously man made. I doubt anything naturally made would have all straight sides at 90 degrees of each other.

This image shows a raised foundation outline in one area and a square hole that is shaded a different color. I assume the square hole is an old basement or crawl space excavation. Notice how the hole and foundation are directly oriented to each other.

I can't stress how AWSOME this unit performed without even fiddling with any settings or even digging into the instructions. This was the first time I used it.

Another neat feature is being able to mark way points of structure via the side imaging. Simply locate the cursor on the object in the side image pane as you pass it and mark your submerged structure.

I'm sure other manufacturers make some similar functions in their units but not at a $400 price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willf650; 09-05-2017, 09:02 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

I also have the same unit and I cant say enough about it. Its amazing technology for the price point. Although the Mega has10X the detail, the Helix unit is plenty for me.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
      I also have the same unit and I cant say enough about it. Its amazing technology for the price point. Although the Mega has10X the detail, the Helix unit is plenty for me.
      I will state that I did splurge for the hd transducer. It's better than the stock one and if I had a higher end unit it would make even more of a difference.

Hummingbird bird offers a trade up program for the new unmounted transducers that come with the units.

I think the transducer was an $80 fee to swap. I just bought it as I'm going to mount the other one on my aluminum boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2015 Coosa HD

Comment

How did you mount the transducer on your yak?
        Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdawg View Post
          I used a Ram Mounts transducer arm. I don't care for it but it's a necessary evil. From what I read you're not supposed to block the transducer on the sides. The HD transducer won't fit in my transducer scupper. The compact transducer that came with it might fit but the sides would be blocked if it was tucked up in the hull.

On the bright side I can swap the fish finder from yak to yak by moving the transducer with it.

The HD transducer is about 1/3 larger than the compact transducer that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdawg View Post
            I did a lot of research on this also. I couldn't stand the noise the transducer arm produced. Some don't mind it, but the constant sound the water makes as it moved past it is the same noise that comes from having a rod lease dragging in the water. I did some research and talked to a few people who had the Berley Pro transducer cover and they saw no difference between the arm and cover. The cover is now the lowest point on my kayak, which is somewhat of a pain, but it is very tough and with some forethought I haven't had any issues with damaging it.

For reference, the below two pictures are screen shots of my unit. The first picture is a barren sand bottom and the second picture is a school of fish entering the screen.

The transducer when sitting in the Berley Pro is not obstructed by the side of the kayak.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X