Hawg Trough alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawg Trough alternative?

Has anyone found a kayak friendly alternative to the Hawg Trough that is more durable and user friendly? I am really unhappy with what I have used and seen
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

I use this:

10077462.jpg

Attached to a Blackpak/Livewell with this:

product_16.jpg

With something similar to this in case I drop it overboard:

images.jpg

I also have a long measuring sticker on my paddle that I use 90% of the time, but if the fish is marginal or really big I use the board for a more precise measurement.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

If you use a paddle, this would be simple yet effective (and cheap):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaUDEY6zRUU

smithmal
      smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
      Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Bruce,

You can use my approach and catch stripers not worthy of measurement.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After breaking a second Hawg Trough, I purchased a Yak-Gear Fish Stik about a month ago. I haven't used it a great deal yet, but I love that it folds, float, and won't crack so easily. It is a little pricey, but cheaper than multiple Hawg Troughs.
          Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
          2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

John,

I am intrigued. I hadn't seen an aluminum device over 22". How long is that and where did you get it? Also, does .the paddle decal stay on? I have avoided these because I didn't think they would hold up

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
            I use this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22241[/ATTACH]

Attached to a Blackpak/Livewell with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22242[/ATTACH]

With something similar to this in case I drop it overboard:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22243[/ATTACH]

I also have a long measuring sticker on my paddle that I use 90% of the time, but if the fish is marginal or really big I use the board for a more precise measurement.
            Last edited by EMSer; 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM.
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              John,

I am intrigued. I hadn't seen an aluminum device over 22". How long is that and where did you get it?
              https://gatorgrip.com/shop/listing/3

That one is 38", but they have a 32" and many others. Make sure to buy the correct sleeve (I think there is at least 2 different ones) for the model scale you pick out. I've had mine for a couple seasons now and it does the job. It is very ridged, but you can bend it with enough force. I walked into mine once (ouch) and put about 15 degree bend in, but had no problem straightening it out. It will sink though, so make sure to put something on it so it doesn't disappear.

Another thing to note, one of the sleeves I received fits pretty tight which is a good thing, the other a little looser. For the looser fitting one I mounted it as low as possible so the board actually touches the gunnels of my kayak. That keeps a little tension on it and prevents it from sliding around.

Also, call the guy, he gave me two sleeves for the price of one.
              Last edited by silasvirus82; 09-05-2017, 10:36 AM.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                John,

I am intrigued. I hadn't seen an aluminum device over 22". How long is that and where did you get it? Also, does .the paddle decal stay on? I have avoided these because I didn't think they would hold up
                I have a stick on tape that I got at Dick's that has help up on my carbon paddle all summer without any issues at all. I think it's 48" but I cut it to 36. Put it on whole on the assembled paddle, pressed it down, then made the slit at 18" where to the two paddle halves meet. No problems at all other than either hanging the fish back over the water when the paddle is in it's rack or bringing the paddle up once I have the fish. For little guys, I know the measurements up and down and across on my Hobie Rectangular hatch and use that as rough judge. For example, the lid itself is 9", each frame element is 1" given me a 9, 10, 11" marker up on down on the hatch. Good enough for perch.

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                  https://gatorgrip.com/shop/listing/3

That one is 38", but they have a 32" and many others. Make sure to buy the correct sleeve (I think there is at least 2 different ones) for the model scale you pick out. I've had mine for a couple seasons now and it does the job. It is very ridged, but you can bend it with enough force. I walked into mine once (ouch) and put about 15 degree bend in, but had no problem straightening it out. It will sink though, so make sure to put something on it so it doesn't disappear.

Another thing to note, one of the sleeves I received fits pretty tight which is a good thing, the other a little looser. For the looser fitting one I mounted it as low as possible so the board actually touches the gunnels of my kayak. That keeps a little tension on it and prevents it from sliding around.

Also, call the guy, he gave me two sleeves for the price of one.
                  Thanks bud. I am going to bring some in to Alltackle so we can offer something other than the buckboard we currently have.
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Ha! Ha!
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I just used a black sharpy on the top gunnel of the boat.

Comment

A $0.50 yard stick works pretty well.

And Bruce, your PM box is full; I was able to respond to your message today.
                        Brian

Comment

Good advice! I've done something similar but had problems reading it. Do they make one for old guys?

and thanks re the inbox!

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

A few years ago I used an inexpensive wooden yard stick. After a few trips, the saltwater dissolved some of the ink marking the lines and numbers. I then bought an aluminum yardstick at Home Depot for use on my center console. It has held up well for several seasons.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yardsticks are indeed an inexpensive alternative but a Hawg Trough and its counterparts are nice because they cradle fish for accurate measurements and photos. Realistically, I could get by with a 24 inch trough in my quest for a citation pickerel and white perch. I've actually thought of hacksawing my Hawg Trough at the 24 inch mark to make it easier to carry because I rarely catch a fish larger than that in my kayak.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X