No announcement yet.

Impromptu Slower Lower 9/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hit it yesterday- great day for me...Started off fooling around the bridge to get the skunk off and catch a few school stripers and tailor blues...then on to our favorite spots- first keeper striper was nasty- had sores all over it, long thin skinny unhealthy looking fish- felt bad for the fish, but no way I was going to keep it so back in the water it went...a few minutes later a strong hit and running drag announced another solid, healthy 20 inch plus striper (actually 21 1/2 inch)...I stop trolling and started casting...many 18-19 fat, sassy fish, but no more keepers...then a solid hookup, screaming drag...and long sustained run announced a CNR had my lure solidly lodged in its head...Big Mike joined in- he had his CNR...a steady east wind kept it cool and not too bad...little bouncy but tolerable...I wanted to catch a big redfish so I headed for the sodbanks...no hits on redfish or specks...and I fished hard for them...Gary and Big Mike headed back towards the launch so I was way up the St. Mary's River, about a mile or so, and decided it was time for me to join them...the wind had picked up and the tide was running against the wind, chopping up the water...I trolled a paddletail on the way back occasionally picking up school stripers...About half-way back, the rod bent over and the drag screamed- after a very good fight I boated another fat, healthy 22 1/2 inch striper...Gary had said he wanted fish, so I put it on my stringer along with a fat tailor blue, a nice white perch and the first keeper...I turned the Outback around and headed for the launch...I replaced the mangled Bass Assassin paddletail and tossed it back out...as I was putting the rod in the rod holder another striper nearly ripped the rod out of my hand...another big, fat keeper...but I had my legal limit, so released it to fight another day...no more rods in the water for me- I headed back to share my good fortunes with my buddies...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Wow. That's a lot of action.

Congratulations to each of you...except for hooking the CNRs.

I thought those devils had departed the Bay by now.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

In sadder/mystery news, Gary saw an Old Towne kayak up against the shore with its paddle in it yesterday. We debated what to do and decided to leave it since someone could have been camping in the woods. Later in the day I read that the kayak belonged to someone missing since Saturday and it had a life vest in it as well, along with being tied to shore. They were searching water and woods for the person.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sadly a body was recovered today.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            Sadly a body was recovered today.
            I saw that in the local news this AM. Sad news. I was going to ask if you guys had seen him out there this weekend. I was also able to get out this Sunday and yesterday. Fished the St. Mary's River above the college. Some WP and schoolie rocks. Take care and stay safe out there.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
            X