Cash Lake 9/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash Lake 9/3

2 of us put in (kayaks) at 4:00, fished till dark.
    Working the perimeter (one of us on each side), no bites, no strikes, nothing.
    I did hop up on the walkway at the left rear and cast "back" on the other side. 40 min of working that side produced 2 strikes with 1 fish.

worked edges of pads with buzz bait, worked pads and grasses with soft frog. jigged a wacky worm.

But we did get shot at, about 20 min after putting in, I heard a center fire rifle shot not more than 100-200 yards away,, after I hooked back up with fishing partner, head said the bullet hit the water about 60 yards from him.

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Lesson learned. Do not kayak fish in PG County.

Comment

A very good friend of mind who is an excellent fishermen, has only been "Skunked" at one place...Cash Lake! He fishes in several states for a variety of species and this place Kicks his Butt every time.

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
        2 of us put in (kayaks) at 4:00, fished till dark.
        Working the perimeter (one of us on each side), no bites, no strikes, nothing.
        I did hop up on the walkway at the left rear and cast "back" on the other side. 40 min of working that side produced 2 strikes with 1 fish.

worked edges of pads with buzz bait, worked pads and grasses with soft frog. jigged a wacky worm.

But we did get shot at, about 20 min after putting in, I heard a center fire rifle shot not more than 100-200 yards away,, after I hooked back up with fishing partner, head said the bullet hit the water about 60 yards from him.

Slack

Jesus! And I thought the porta potties at Jonas Green were the most dangerous things us kayak fisherman would have to deal with. Well I'm glad you both are ok. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area, but if you enjoy freshwater fishing, I suggest hitting up the Anacostia. It's certainly not the cleanest river, so don't fall in, and try to keep splashing to a minimum. I've worked there for a number of years on the remediation project, and we've pulled out the most beautiful healthy looking sunfish (including huge LMB) out of the area. Snakeheads, monster carp, catfish, and the occasional striper are also in the mix, and we only saw a handful of fish (mostly catfish) that looked like you'd expect, most appeared healthy. However, we sent many off for tissue analysis, and those results may be up on the DOEE's (or is it DDOE?) website.

Comment

Cash Lake is very tough, which is surprising for how good it looks and how little pressure most of it gets. I am currently mad at it and have not been there in months. Next year I am going to make a strong go of it though, it is the closest and most convenient bass spot to my house and I am determined to figure it out. The place drives me nuts, but there is something there that keeps me coming back.

Also, there is a .gov shooting range on the North Track, so that might have been an errant bullet from there.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

The bass habitat at cash looks great, but the are just not there.
            I heard someone said it was drained a year or 2 ago, if so, that may be why the lack of Bass.

The range at North tract is a good 10 miles away. this shot was from within 100 yard, just in the wood line.

Slack
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

I heard someone said it was drained a year or 2 ago, if so, that may be why the lack of Bass.

The range at North tract is a good 10 miles away. this shot was from within 100 yard, just in the wood line.

Slack
              Yea the ranges aren't usually hot that time of day. Let alone anything with that kind of potential.
              The lake was accidentally lowered, a biologist was letting water out during a really wet period and forgot to close the drain before going home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Slack
                That is crazy, poaching deer on federal land isn't the best idea in the world.

I met a guy there once who had some pictures of the lake when it was drained. There was still water over most of it, but you could see the stream channel very clearly, which is where I caught my big one. I managed a bunch of smaller bass in the spring, but after half a dozen skunks I gave up. I have caught quite a few pickerel there though, some very good sized.

Last time I was there I was chatting with the worker who was there lowering the water. He said that Lake Redmond's dam was in poor shape so they were going to have to drain it for repairs and that it drains into Cash Lake, which explains the crazy variations in the water levels there. I have had some OK days there, but the skunks have far out numbered them.
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                X