Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River access just above DC

Looking to stay out of DC,,
    Where is a decent kayak access on the Potomac below great falls??
    This area is new to me, is it decent fishing between DC and Great falls?
    Is the currant moving, or can you "paddle around a bit" in this area?

Thanks for any pointers,
    Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

When I lived in Montgomery County I fished extensively at Lock 10 using my Old Towne Camper canoe. It's about a 50 yard carry down a grade to get to a side channel that takes you to the Potomac proper. When I was younger I just put my canoe on my shoulders and humped it up and back, now I use a cart. Lock 10 is the first parking lot inside the beltway and you'll be fishing in the shadow of the American Legion bridge. There is current but plenty of rocks to pull up on for casting to fishy spots. As you head towards the bridge the water gets much deeper and current slows but fishing for smallies isn't great in that part except winter.

I also had a drift chain to help slow my progress through the faster stretches. I rarely went more than a quarter mile up or down stream from the put in, the fishing was that good and if you work back and forth between shores you can spend hours fishing that small stretch. Realistically you want the gauge at Little Falls to be below 4' and ideally at 3.2-3.4'. Above 4.2 and the water is moving too fast and lots of the rocks you can use as breaks are underwater. Below 3.0 and you'll be walking in spots.

You canoe/kayak will get beat up. I had Kevlar skid plates on the front and back to let me pull up on the rocks with minimal damage but you still get lots of beauty marks.

PS - get there very early, this is a very popular spot for bikers and walkers to access the C&O Canal and the 12-15 car lot fills quickly, even during the week.
    Last edited by Big Mike; 09-02-2017, 07:07 AM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks Mike,
      I am totally unfamiliar with this area.
      We hit the Smallies up around Luray on the Doah, and on the South Branch in Smoke Hole Canyon.
      I take it this area is no longer tidal ?
      Looking to stay out of DC, but still hit some lilly pads
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

This area is above the tide line at Chain Bridge, 100% freshwater in Maryland. No lily pads, just rocks and some weed beds in flowing waters. Smallmouth, walleye, and since they built the better fish ladder at the dam, rockfish at certain times of year. Very much like fishing the Doah but a lot more river to explore. I'm sure at some point I caught a largemouth there but so rare not worth mentioning as a target fish.
        Mike

Comment

Is the Dam the one I see at "snake island" on the map?
          Our 1st love is River Smallies up towards the mountains.
          Next we target LMB and SH at Mattawoman, but that place is so overrun with boats/people.
          Looking to target LMB and SH, but with less tidal influence. On the lower Potomac tributaries, the tidal influence is so strong it dictates when you can fish.

Is fletchers the closest put in to Chain Bridge? Does DC hassle you about Boaters safety course card that far up ??

Thanks,
          Slack
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Is there any access between lock 5 and 6 ?
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Yes, dam at Snake Island. I think there is an access near the dam for white water kayak guys but no idea where it is or parking situation, so Fletcher's would be closest. I don't fish in the district so can't help you on your card question.
              Mike

Comment

I get what you are wanting to do. Snakeheads but not driving all the way down to Mattawoman.
                You aren't going to be in tidal water near the American Legion bridge.
                Chain Bridge is tidal. Fletcher's is tidal. I think your best bet is going to be fishing the VA side down by National Airport.

Comment

The only portion of the Potomac around DC that is not "In" DC is Roaches Run Pond. looks like the rest is owned by DC, which means sitting through an 8 hours boaters safety class.

Slack
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                  X