Anacostia - Bladensburg 9-1-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anacostia - Bladensburg 9-1-17

2 of us put in with a Jackson Coosa HD and Cuda 12, cameras on the poles and rolling, ready to capture all the action.
    Put in at 6:20 AM roughly high tide. Floated down stream, each of us taking a side.
    Had 3 rods out throwing a buzz bait, swim bait, and 3" white grub on 1/8 road runner.
    Fished till 10:00, nothing except one very small strike at the boat, caught me off guard and did not clearly see what it was.
    We fished down to and entered the "Aquatic gardens" to fish the lilly pads, Nothing.

If not for the occasional glimpse of a 2 headed deer, or the waft of "under treated" sewage, this trip would have been a bust.

Not something I will be dong again.

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Good going. I have wanted to try that area.

Comment

That's definitely an urban river that has been under the onslaught of high density population for close to a century. The Anacostia River Keepers are doing the best they can cleaning up all the bottles, trash, debris and dumped objects including kitchen sinks as best they can.

A few years ago, I used to play golf at Langston GC. The back nine backs up to the Anacostia River and there was a surprising amount of bird and wildlife back there. But I think it still has a ways to go to be a viable urban fishing ground, particularly in periods of heavy rain like we have had lately.

Fun historical fact; during the War of 1812, the British sailed right up the River to Bladensburg where they proceeded to disembark and terrorize the city, including burning down the White House. If not for a huge rainstorm, they would have torched the entire town. But that gives you an idea just how much run-off, from farms, and then increasing population have shrunk the River to its current size. The same thing has happened with the Port Tobacco River, which during colonial times was the largest port in Maryland (at Port Tobacco.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        Fun historical fact; during the War of 1812, the British sailed right up the River to Bladensburg where they proceeded to disembark and terrorize the city, including burning down the White House. If not for a huge rainstorm, they would have torched the entire town. But that gives you an idea just how much run-off, from farms, and then increasing population have shrunk the River to its current size. The same thing has happened with the Port Tobacco River, which during colonial times was the largest port in Maryland (at Port Tobacco.
        And then three weeks later they sailed up the Patapsco and laid siege on Baltimore and Ft. McHenry, no doubt ruining some good striper fishing near the white rocks.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X