Striper on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper on the fly

IMG-0427.jpgHey guys - while the smallies may be slow this year, stripers are still cooperating. This one from the Miles River last weekend on a #1/0 crease fly. Had to use my leg as a ruler, roughly 26" from the flip-flop, based on an optimistic measurement of my own leg later!

PS, though I'm late to the party I'm grateful that this fly line group exists on SnaggedLine and hope we can keep it alive. Thanks to you Dan and Mark for giving it traction.

Comment

That's the beauty! I flirt with my fly rod occasionally myself.
      Harlan

Revo 13
      Trident 13
      Cuda 14
      Necky Tandem

Comment

Nice catch, Brookmonter!

Those of you who wish to toss flies at stripers may be interested in joining me and members of the Free State Fly Fishers (FSFF) as our guests on Saturday, 9 September. I will be leading an FSFF outing to Kent Island where we will launch at Goodhands Creek. Trip details are found on this page of the FSFF website:

http://fs-ff.com/index.php/calendar/...ands-creek-md/

Note also that we are having lunch at Harris Crab House after fishing ends. Please PM me if you intend to participate or if you have any questions about the outing.

Thank you,
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's a nice fish! I've never caught a striper on the fly yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Brookmonter View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22208[/ATTACH]Hey guys - while the smallies may be slow this year, stripers are still cooperating. This one from the Miles River last weekend on a #1/0 crease fly. Had to use my leg as a ruler, roughly 26" from the flip-flop, based on an optimistic measurement of my own leg later!
            That is a decent fish! I've never gotten a striper on the fly yet

Comment

Originally posted by richellealessi View Post
              That is a decent fish! I've never gotten a striper on the fly yet
              This is a good time of year to change that.

Stripers have moved into many of our tidal creeks. They are hungry, shallow and susceptible to poppers and streamers.

Good luck,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

I am new to this forum but Ive been reading it some and it looks great. I am thinking about trying some kayak striper fly fishing this weekend and was wondering if any of you have suggestions about where to go close to DC. Is the Eastern Bay off Kent Island or Kent Narrows any good? Some else also suggested the mouth of the Severn.

I have caught stripers on fly from friends boats with fish finders in Eastern Bay but haven't tried with kayak and no fish finder.

Thanks

Comment

Bill G,

Welcome to Snaggedline.

It can be hit or miss, but try poppers on the rocks near the breakwater at Kent Narrows. If the stripers are present, you'll soon know. You can reach that area either launching at the Narrows ramp or at Goodhands Creek landing.

Clousers near the shorelines around Goodhands may also work, but again, the action can swing from very good to very poor. An area I especially like there is the entire shoreline of Hog Island. Clousers or poppers will work.

Stripers are indeed in the Severn's creeks. I've caught them trolling, but very few casting so far this fall. I have spent several sessions blind casting poppers in back ends of several Severn creeks in recent weeks and have failed to raise one with serious intent. I've gotten swirls but no hookups. However, I know others who have been more successful with conventional top water especially when they have run into breakers in the creeks. Fly rod poppers will work there but timing is everything.

Good luck,
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

You also need a launch Permit for Goodhands, you can get it at Anglers Sports, right before the Bay bridge. The open at 5a.m. on Saturdays???? But call and check

Yak67
                    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                      You also need a launch Permit for Goodhands, you can get it at Anglers Sports, right before the Bay bridge. The open at 5a.m. on Saturdays???? But call and check

Yak67
                      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
                      Thanks Gary! I forgot about the Queen Anne's County launch permits for Kent Island.

A daily permit is $10 and an annual sticker is $35. And yes, officials peruse the landings to check vehicles for the permits. I call them the clipboard people. I see them often.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Careful around hog island this time of year. Duck season is in and if you see decoys our , it is wise to stay back. Good chance you get rained on with shot. No one out there is targeting you, just happens and shouldn’t be misconstrued as you being the target. Just be mindful of the other sportsmen on the bay. The guys at hog are a serious bunch of waterfowlers.

Comment

Striper on the fly

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Bill G,

Welcome to Snaggedline.

It can be hit or miss, but try poppers on the rocks near the breakwater at Kent Narrows. If the stripers are present, you'll soon know. You can reach that area either launching at the Narrows ramp or at Goodhands Creek landing.

Clousers near the shorelines around Goodhands may also work, but again, the action can swing from very good to very poor. An area I especially like there is the entire shoreline of Hog Island. Clousers or poppers will work.

Stripers are indeed in the Severn's creeks. I've caught them trolling, but very few casting so far this fall. I have spent several sessions blind casting poppers in back ends of several Severn creeks in recent weeks and have failed to raise one with serious intent. I've gotten swirls but no hookups. However, I know others who have been more successful with conventional top water especially when they have run into breakers in the creeks. Fly rod poppers will work there but timing is everything.

Good luck,
                          Mark,

Thank you for the great advice! I caught a couple small stripers on a half and half along the Kent Narrows breakwater on an outgoing tide on Sunday morning (in the fog). A success for the maiden voyage of the kayak. Maybe I will try Hog Island next.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill G View Post
                            Mark,

Thank you for the great advice! I caught a couple small stripers on a half and half along the Kent Narrows breakwater on an outgoing tide on Sunday morning (in the fog). A success for the maiden voyage of the kayak. Maybe I will try Hog Island next.

Bill
                            You're very welcome. Fun isn't it?

Watch out for those duck hunters as Bigbev67 advised.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for heads up on Goodhands permit. I fished there yesterday in creek and around Hog island. I didn't have any luck around the island but ran into a lot of bait fish breaking the surface not too far from the ramp at about 3:30 in afternoon. I threw poppers into the action for about 15 minutes without getting a strike. Wonder what my problem was?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X