Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet up to fish this weekend or talk boats (if weather is not playing nice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet up to fish this weekend or talk boats (if weather is not playing nice)

Hey Folks,

I was wondering if any of you plan to fish this labor day weekend and if you'd consider hosting a guest (provided the weather is cooperating).

My motivation is that I am in the market for a new kayak. I would really like to see how other boats are rigged and as many boat types before i settle on a boat. I could go to our local kayak shops but I really want to talk pros and cons with fishermen that have been working from their selected fishing platforms fully rigged.

I currently own a Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem rigged with a trolling motor. I have owed the boat for 10'ish years, caught a bunch of fish and have been 100% satisfied with it but I need a sit on top to access the bay without fear of sinking.

I'd also be up for a rig run down if you don't mind talking about your boat and sharing what you love about your boat and accessories. This does not have to be dockside.

Thanks for your help!
    XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
    Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

I am totally prejudiced and you should not listen to my opinion about the Hobie Outback...which I consider the absolute finest Chesapeake Bay fishing kayak...I am not a kayaker...I am a fisherman...only have a kayak to fish out of- great exercise, yada, yada, yada...yeah, and all that, too...fishing is the only reason I have a kayak- therefore the best fishing kayak is what I want...not a great paddler or the fastest or the best for over night camping, etc....only fishing counts in my book...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-30-2017, 08:11 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by XXXMedium View Post
      Hey Folks,

I was wondering if any of you plan to fish this labor day weekend and if you'd consider hosting a guest (provided the weather is cooperating).

My motivation is that I am in the market for a new kayak. I would really like to see how other boats are rigged and as many boat types before i settle on a boat. I could go to our local kayak shops but I really want to talk pros and cons with fishermen that have been working from their selected fishing platforms fully rigged.

I currently own a Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem rigged with a trolling motor. I have owed the boat for 10'ish years, caught a bunch of fish and have been 100% satisfied with it but I need a sit on top to access the bay without fear of sinking.

I'd also be up for a rig run down if you don't mind talking about your boat and sharing what you love about your boat and accessories. This does not have to be dockside.

Thanks for your help!
      If it was next weekend i could or any day really other then this weekend lol, i habe a viking profish reload and have an extra you could paddle. Its definitely an intermediate to advanced paddlers boat. You need some skill to operate it, i feel viking holds true to the paddlers mentality, i would just get a bike if i wanted to peddle, even if i could peddle id much rather paddle. But this is an age old argument that will never be won cause there are advantages to both. Paddle guys get into skinny water substantially easier and no flutter pedaling. Pedal guy Obviously has the advantage of being able to run more lines and keep moving when hooked up, but 3 lines is just fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Weather and time permitting I might fish this weekend. Will drop you a line if I do.

As for these kayaks I can only speak as confirmed paddler. (No disrespect at all to the peddlers on here as my wife and son had Outbacks).

I enjoy paddling and the lack of a peddle drive in the little bit of real estate i.e cockpit we have in these boats. Holding/bracing a paddle and rod at the same time after over 45 years is second nature. When it gets gnarly at least for me there is a sense of control with a paddle in hand. I like the simplicity, less moving parts as well. I’ve been a fan of the now discontinued Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.7 for distance and when I know conditions our going to be less than stellar. Great kayak to fish out of. (There were a few left so I bought another one).

Other paddle kayak is the Predator 13. 2017. Paddles well for its width and short waterline although grips current like Velcro. Great walk around and carrying capacity for when you want it. Some may disagree but by no means at all is it a surf launcher. May want to stay out of really rough conditions as its layout can be a problem with incoming waves. Although I have had it out in conditions beyond its intended design and it performed exceptionally well.

Ultra 47a.jpgultra 4.7b.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Fishtank; 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Working...
        X