No announcement yet.

Introducing the NEW Hobie Mirage Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think its pretty over priced for a pretty basic kayak.. also does not come with the 180 mirage drive.. thats why costs are kept low.. needs some tracks on it, better storage upfront.. and better carrying handles to warrant the price its currently at
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I don't think the differences in amenities warrant the price difference. I think Hobie wanted to tap the sub $2k market and not dilute the value of their existing line.
      As far as the real world differences, the drive was standard a couple years ago and an upgrade at that. Plus the 180 drive has had a lot of complaints/breakage. I do like the reverse feature, but it's not yet proven in terms of durability and I was content without it.
      No front hatch is something that several dedicated hobie users have told me they prefer. I really don't care either way.
      I personally wouldn't refer to it as a stripped down version. It's simply different. It comes with gear tracks as an example.
      I've had a revo and several outbacks. I alway agonize over which one to buy. Perhaps it's me, but I thought it was a classic question when buying a hobie fishing kayak, OB or Revo. I haven't been in one yet, but it appears that the Compass is the answer to the question. If it performs the way I think it will, I'd take it any day over a non 180 drive OB or Revo at the same price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
      Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
      Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
        i think its pretty over priced for a pretty basic kayak.. also does not come with the 180 mirage drive.. thats why costs are kept low.. needs some tracks on it, better storage upfront.. and better carrying handles to warrant the price its currently at
        Most sub $2K kayaks are relative "basic". Take a look at the Perception Pilot. The Compass does have Hobie's H-Tracs on each side, which is a welcome addition. And youre right that the subtraction of the 180 drive helps keep cost down, but IMO the GT Mirage Drive is still a great piece of equipment. The addition of carrying handles would have been nice.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

i know 200$ doesnt sound like much.. but a 1799 price tag makes this a clear winner for ALOT of people.. that 200 can be spent on electronics.. or boonedox.. or hobie wheels.. or H crate.. i know the mark ups help them make money. but if you sell more boats with less mark up.. more profit..
          Zach Moore
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

i know 200$ doesnt sound like much.. but a 1799 price tag makes this a clear winner for ALOT of people.. that 200 can be spent on electronics.. or boonedox.. or hobie wheels.. or H crate.. i know the mark ups help them make money. but if you sell more boats with less mark up.. more profit..
            You're right, for some people, the $150 price difference ($1799 vs. $1949) will be the deciding factor. This is just my opinion, but for $150 more, I'd much rather have a Mirage Drive powered kayak that is Lowrance Ready.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

is this pre drilled for anchor trolley like the rest of the hobies?
              Zach Moore
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

is this pre drilled for anchor trolley like the rest of the hobies?
                Seriously? They are? Lol, I didn't realize this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                -Jimbo-

Comment

yeah. the little black dots on the sides of the hobies can be backed out and its pre drilled for your anchor trolleys
                  Zach Moore
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

yeah. the little black dots on the sides of the hobies can be backed out and its pre drilled for your anchor trolleys
                    This only applies to the Pro Angler Series. Outbacks, Revos, and sports do not have this feature. The Compass doesn't appear to either.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

oh my bad.. ive only owned pro anglers.. didnt know any different.. whoops
                      Zach Moore
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

As mentioned here already, the Compass bow is Revo-like which is a good thing.

But as a person who car-tops his boats, I'd have to see if the width of the hull at 34 inches would inhibit my ability to lift the kayak to my roof rack. That's almost 6 inches wider than my Revo which I grip by the gunnel handles to lift. A wider boat would simply be harder for me to bend over, grasp the handles with sufficient strength and lift. The longer reach would place more torque on my back as I twist to prop it up on the back of my van, not to mention the Compass is heavier than my Revo even though it is shorter.

I understand Hobie's desire to produce stable boat, especially one with a raised seat. The wider beam helps in that regard. But I believe transporting the kayak to the water must be way down on their priority list when they design a boat -- not that Hobie is alone as a kayak maker in this regard.
                        Last edited by Mark; 09-01-2017, 09:21 AM.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, I didn't even notice it until now, but the Compass doesn't have gunwale handles!

Whoops. That's gonna turn quite a few people off. Like you mention, for those that car-top their boat this may be a deal breaker. And if you should ever have the need to get back into the kayak from the water, you won't have the handle to grasp and pull yourself into the cockpit of the boat.
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying my new camo outback with the GT drive for the price of the Compass, $1949.

-Jimbo-

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                              I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying my new camo outback with the GT drive for the price of the Compass, $1949.

Crickets
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                                Mark, I didn't even notice it until now, but the Compass doesn't have gunwale handles!

Whoops. That's gonna turn quite a few people off. Like you mention, for those that car-top their boat this may be a deal breaker. And if you should ever have the need to get back into the kayak from the water, you won't have the handle to grasp and pull yourself into the cockpit of the boat.
                                I noticed that myself. I think a simple aftermarket solution would be to purchase and install the handles yourself: 88991061 Side Carry Handle retails at $19.39 (MSRP). You figure that your Hobie dealer could help you with that. For an aftermarket install, you'd probably want a backing plate or some other sort of reinforcement, I noticed that the handles on production models have molded in screws. Alternatively, the I'm sure you could rig up some sort of side handles via the gear tracs. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with what Hoie has done with the Compass and I'd also like to see some in the water performance and reviews.
                                Tight lines
                                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                                Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                                Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                                Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
                                X