Introducing the NEW Hobie Mirage Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the NEW Hobie Mirage Compass

The below text is copied from the Hobie Fishing Team page regarding their new Mirage Drive kayak....the Hobie Compass.

A New Product, Hobie Mirage Compass:

Introducing the NEW Hobie Mirage Compass!

As with all Mirage Kayaks, this one comes with a MirageDrive GT with standard fins. It weighs 87 lbs full rigged (seat, paddle, MirageDrive) and it's fitted weight is 68 lbs! The price is $1,949 USD. Here are the full specs:

Crew: Single
    Length: 12'
    Width: 34"
    Capacity: 400 lbs
    Fitted Hull Weight: 68 lbs
    Fully Rigged Weight: 87 lbs
    Colors: Slate Blue, Seagrass Green

Here are the links to the Hobie home page and video:
    https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqTD98TFJ1w

Another great product by Hobie!

My first thought (without having pedaled it) is that is provides a Hobie Mirage Drive Hobie at a price point that is more competitive to brands such as perception. It comes standard with the Vantage Seat, but lack the 180 (Reverse) drive and instead has the Mirage GT (glide technology) drive. The added gear tracks are a nice option also. At 12' long and a naked weight of only 68 lbs....it provides somewhat of a lighter option in a "bay-worth -sized" kayak.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

No rudder?
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      No rudder?
      It does have a rudder. Single string; similar to the Pro Angler is the way I interpret it.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

In addition, it is also compatible with the square hatch. An 8" round hatch can also be installed in the front; under the netting.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Smart on Hobie to go cheap/light. They're going to sell a million of these things
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

No paddle?

Sorry...I see it now.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              No paddle?
              I saw a paddle in the video
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards this not being such a big deal. It's really not cheap enough yet to persuade someone looking for a similar kayak to make sacrifices. At that price point its only a few hundred dollars cheaper than an Outback or Revo, and you're potentially missing out on a few things. The lighter weight is nice though. All these kayak makers need to realize they are competing against themselves mostly, and a few hundred bucks isn't going to prevent me from getting what I actually want. Closer to a thousand might. Hobie should have the production of these things down to the point of producing a similar kayak at around $1500. That would get some serious attention and pull people away from other brands.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I really think hobie hit it out of the park with this one. I've never been a fan of the propeller style peddle drives, but could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on a kayak anyways. Now this....this kayak has my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                    I really think hobie hit it out of the park with this one. I've never been a fan of the propeller style peddle drives, but could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on a kayak anyways. Now this....this kayak has my attention.

Haha, I stand corrected!
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                      The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards this not being such a big deal. It's really not cheap enough yet to persuade someone looking for a similar kayak to make sacrifices. At that price point its only a few hundred dollars cheaper than an Outback or Revo, and you're potentially missing out on a few things. The lighter weight is nice though. All these kayak makers need to realize they are competing against themselves mostly, and a few hundred bucks isn't going to prevent me from getting what I actually want. Closer to a thousand might. Hobie should have the production of these things down to the point of producing a similar kayak at around $1500. That would get some serious attention and pull people away from other brands.
                      I agree with you that there is a fine line between manufacturers when it comes to price. The Perception Pilot (to my knowledge) has the lowest MSRP of any pedal kayak, coming in at $1799. I am assuming Hobie thought the inclusion of the Mirage Drive warranted the additional $150. A price point of $1500 would have been sweet, but coming close to that price point with a mirage drive hopefully turns some heads.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't get me wrong I love my hobie but I don't see anything to get excited about here. Who is the target buyer for this? Is someone who can't afford a $2400 revo 13 really going to say "Oh geez what a huge $400 price difference!" and buy one tomorrow? And is 87 lbs considered "light" by anyone? Adding marketing weasel words like "fitted weight" is also a bad look IMO. Its just adding to an already jumbled lineup that already has two unpopular smaller boats (revo 11 and sport). Its sad because hobie was an industry leader and innovator and basically created an entirely new pedal drive market. All they do now is raise prices, add features that no one asked for and throw in a couple new colors once in a while.
                        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I wonder what the true cost is for Hobie on any of their lineup? Somebody here might know.
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

For those of us who have to beg and bribe friends to come kayaking, having a cheap (and comfortable) secondary kayak can be handy. I just picked up a used inflatable (i12s) last year for my secondary kayak--my plan is to fly with it to the boundary waters--but I probably would have looked hard at one of these if they were available.
                            I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            Garmin Echomap 93sv
                            RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I feel like this kayak is geared more toward the non angling crowd. Like ocean kayak with the Malibu pld. I really think these kayaks are really more of a "family" kayak. Something to get the wife or teen out with you without feeling left behind by not having a drive, but also without as much weight as a fishing kayak. Just my 2 cents.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                              Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                              X