Fall catfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall catfishing

I don't live in MD, but over here, September/October are great times to catch big cats as they start gorging for winter. Does this hold true in the shallower waters of, say, Mattawoman and those affilliated creeks and streams? I can probably squeeze in one more trip this year and I'd love to come get some big numbers and big fish.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Been my experience the Blue catfishing never stops at Mattawoman...Bushwood Wharf is different but similiar...caught cats at every month of the year at Mattawoman- drop a bottom bait most anywhere on the Mattawoman Creek and hang on...lots of 30(+) inch fish there...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We did GREAT in June, less great in July but still decent. I haven't ever tried when the mats are thick like they are now, I guess you're punching regardless as they're in the gap beneath the mat?
      2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
      2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
      2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

On both sides of the Slavins ramp, in clear sight of the ramp...in the deeper pools I have caught 30(+) inch blue catfish...and released them to fight again...I like the smaller size cats to eat...release anything 30 inches and beyond...and there are some really big blue cats- they grow big...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Any hints for VA launches? I've heard Occoquan is always hot but what about pohick or maybe further north like Belle Haven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jhov02 View Post
            Any hints for VA launches? I've heard Occoquan is always hot but what about pohick or maybe further north like Belle Haven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Jones Point Park in Alexandria under the Wilson Bridge is good. There is a floating dock to launch from. Plenty of catfish, free to enter the park and it's open till 10:00 pm
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
            X