Pond Scouting, Found the Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Scouting, Found the Holy Grail

I spent about 3 hrs Saturday doing some pond scouting and working my way down my list. The vehicle of choice today was the beater Jeep as I didn't want to get stuck or scratch my pick up truck.

Destination number one was a location that had two small ponds separated by a small piece of land.

It wasn't hard to get to by Jeep standards but I wouldn't have wanted to take my pick up back to the ponds' location. It's nice to not care about pushing over small trees when you need to spin around.

The ponds at location one were a bust. One of them may contain fish but I don't think they warrant a return trip with a kayak to find out. They are relatively small and shallow.

The only cool thing I saw was this old stone dam next to the dirt road. I've known it was there and drove past it before but this was the first time I got out to have a look. I suspect this dates back to the early 1900's. That would be the only reason I can think of that it was constructed with stone and wasn't poured concrete.

This bronze medalion was in the top layer of stones.

After my bust at location one it was off to location two. I held out a little more hope for this location. My only concern was this pond wasn't deep enough to stop it from freezing solid and was more or less a whale wallow.

As I parked the Jeep and grabbed my rod I proceeded on foot with my back pack. Although there is a dirt road that passes this pond you can't drive on it. It has a locked gate and is only for authorized vehicles that maintain the parcel. The road, however, makes for a nice stroll where you don't have to bushwhack. As I walked down the road I came to a small creek passing underneath it through a culvert.

From the elevated position on the road I was greeted with this view about 75 yds from me. This image is zoomed in as far as my camera can go. This was the only glimpse of the pond that you could see. I walked the road all the way down and even though it came within yds of the pond I couldn't see it through the weeds.

I got excited after seeing this and texted my buddies saying I just found another "Holly Grail Pond".
    This is the term we use for a pond that has the following attributes.
    • It's on public property(We try not to trespass)
    • It's not listed anywhere as being there
    • It can't be seen from the road
    • It can't be fished from shore(Banks are brush right to the waters edge)

We keep these ponds close to the chest. This one I think gets fished as the access to it is easy and there was a path to the creek's edge

We started planning a trip and the texts were flying. We met up to fish it about 3 hrs later. You have to lauch in the creek and paddle your way to the pond.

Once you made it out of the creek you were grated to the site of a beautiful pond.

We all caught fish but nothing spetacutlar. This was the largest at 3.4#.

This was a beautiful pond and we will be back. It's basically hardly touched and is very wild in its attributes. We finished the night out here and were pulling out as it got black.

Good luck guys.
    Last edited by willf650; 08-27-2017, 09:00 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

you forgot the GPS coordinates
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Another outstanding report! Love, love, love them!

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        Another outstanding report! Love, love, love them!
        We did this again today with similar results as last time. No report this time. To much typing but we had two great days this weekend.

1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Working...
        X