Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking up new Hobie at Delaware Paddle Sports next week. Fishing Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up new Hobie at Delaware Paddle Sports next week. Fishing Tips?

Heading up to Delaware Paddle Sports next week to pick up a new yak (Driving from DC). Would be nice to get on some fish after I pick up the boat, whats going on up there?

I have fished Cape henlopen a few times this year but there is not much going on there. There are supposed to be a few sheepshead and trigger fish around but I have not caught any yet. All I have caught recently are small croakers and tiny blue fish. I will probably be there again this weekend.

Comment

All the fish are gone. Using your kayak is pointless. Ill gladly come pick it up and recycle it properly.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

its been a few months since I was up there but I would think you could find some flounder dragging a skinner rig at the Lewes inlet....Theres a boat launch right there. The canal there is also good. If nothing else bloodworms on a bottom rig in that area should get you some croaker
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
          All the fish are gone. Using your kayak is pointless. Ill gladly come pick it up and recycle it properly.
          Lol

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Hey JesserKirk so what are getting??? I have given DPS my money for the 2018 PA12 when they arrive around Oct 1st. I also spent the bucks for a dry suit so I can fish year round. Cant wait man!!!! Congrats by the way and I hope you wrangled a big fish when you went on your first voyage!!!!

nhunter know you'll recycle mine too!!!
              XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
              Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Originally posted by XXXMedium View Post
                nhunter know you'll recycle mine too!!!
                I'm a perfectly fine with paddling, but my most regrettable moment of the year is when I took a kayak fishing charter down in Florida that used pedal kayaks. Now I cant get the thought of buying one out of my head. Its only the thought of my wife killing me that keeps me from pulling the trigger.
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Hunter I have had a native ultimate 14.5 the kayak is a hybrid canoeish thing for 10 years. It's big, stable as hell, I have it rigged with a motor and fished it for all those years very successfully...Its downside...one rogue wave and its swamp city. So the bay is only an option with 5mph or less and rivers with the right wind up to 10 mph and thats sketchy!

It took years and my wife finally let the purchase happen. I will add that she has seen my brother's year old native slayer with propel and she understands the sit on top reliability vs the ultimate sit in. Good luck selling your better half...
                  XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
                  Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Im honestly good with the Big Tuna. Its proven to be a tank so far and Ive been in some pretty gnarly stuff and its never even hinted that it was about to turtle. I will probably pick up something pedal in the far future, but I am definitely tempted to make it sooner rather than later. Im also considering asking (read pleading) Santa for a torqeedo drive. I want to run some trot lines for crab in the future and don't see it happening with my paddling skills. I can paddle all day, just slowly.

In trying to keep somewhat on topic with the thread, I got my kayak from DPS as well. Good guys. No tips to offer though.
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Decided on a Hobie Outback 2017. The thing is awesome, going to a pedal drive is a huge game changer. Went out of Chesapeake Beach and the wind and waves were intense, without the pedal drive I would have spent the whole time navigating the waves and not fishing.

Managed the waves and fished the whole trip, caught two stripers. Wishing I would have invested in a Hobie a long time ago.

Comment

I’d jump off and hit the Bay Bridge or Kent Narrows area on your way home. Still a ton of fish in the Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
                          Decided on a Hobie Outback 2017. The thing is awesome, going to a pedal drive is a huge game changer. Went out of Chesapeake Beach and the wind and waves were intense, without the pedal drive I would have spent the whole time navigating the waves and not fishing.

Managed the waves and fished the whole trip, caught two stripers. Wishing I would have invested in a Hobie a long time ago.
                          Welcome to the ”dark side”....Wishing I would have invested in a Hobie a long time ago...is a common theme among people who fish out of a kayak...but only if they stick with kayak fishing...still makes a lot of sense for folks to try out kayaking in a paddle (a lot less investment) kayak to see if kayak fishing is for them...and it isn’t for everyone...you must be adventurous and comfortable being alone...and comfortable being on big water in small boats...once you have made the leap of faith...yeah- get a Hobie...have not heard anyone say they regret it...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Welcome to the ”dark side”....Wishing I would have invested in a Hobie a long time ago...is a common theme among people who fish out of a kayak...but only if they stick with kayak fishing...still makes a lot of sense for folks to try out kayaking in a paddle (a lot less investment) kayak to see if kayak fishing is for them...and it isn’t for everyone...you must be adventurous and comfortable being alone...and comfortable being on big water in small boats...once you have made the leap of faith...yeah- get a Hobie...have not heard anyone say they regret it...
                            Good answer Ron.

I think a key thing you said is "big water." Basically, I reserve my Hobie for use on big water. For me that means tidal rivers and the Bay itself. The pedal drive is invaluable for covering distance and attacking waves and wind. However I like to fish small water too. For protected areas like tidal creeks and Eastern Shore ponds, I prefer paddling. I can travel lighter and somehow I feel closer to the environment when I paddle in those locales. I thoroughly enjoy the slower pace of slipping quietly through cypress trees and hugging shorelines of creeks, sometimes in only inches of water. My paddle boat lets me go places I would not want to take my Hobie. Oh, I could still make it through the spatterdock and skinny water with my Revo. But it's far easier to do in my Ultimate.

There's a discussion underway in another thread about the utility of rods. Indeed, you can use some rods for multiple fishing styles. You can do the same with kayaks. But sometimes it's just better to fish with an ultralight rod. Similarly, I think sometimes it better to leave the pedals home.

So my advice for those who go to the "dark side" is to keep their paddle boat if they can. There may be times and places when they will prefer using paddles over pedals.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X