Drive maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive maintenance

Had my new boat Lady Luck almost a year now- today was maintenance day as the winds were up and I had fished Friday at St. Inigoes...so today I completely cleaned and lubbed my Mirage Drive...I used an old clean towel, a small screwdriver and Break Free CLP...first I used lots of fresh water to throughly rinse the drive of any salt and/or sand...I feathered my drive in very shallow water Friday at Lawson Point so I wanted to make sure there was no sand in the drive....then I used my air compressor to blow dry the drive before slopping it up with a generous spraying of Break Free CLP...then carefully wiping the drive dry with the towel and a small screwdriver. I adjusted the pedals back and forth from position 1 to full on the stroke adjustment cleaning it carefully...after readjusting to my preferred stroke length, I checked for smoothness and security of all fasteners and cables...looking like brand new- it is ready to go Thursday morning when I plan my next trip...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

You did a thorough job, Ron.

I didn't know what Break Free CLP was (a lubricant) so I had to look it up.

My Mirage Drive is in its 5th year. I notice normal wear as some of the tolerances of the moving parts are not as tight as they used to be. However, the unit continues to work fine. I attribute that to the extra care I have given it which is similar to what you did today.

After every trip I spray it with fresh water under pressure from my hose. I do this even in winter. Then, like you I blow it dry with my air compressor. Originally, I used to lubricate it after the air compressor treatment with WD-40 per guidance from the Hobie Users' Forum. But in recent years, I have been using a WD-40 dry silicone lubricant. I like that better because it leaves no oily residue in the Mirage Drive well of my Revo.

One time I had to take the Mirage drive apart to replace a cracked spline. I photographed and labeled the parts before I disassembled it to make sure I could put it back together!

See here:

A.jpg

That's the only time I have taken it completely apart. I found no sand or other debris deep in the unseen crevices so that indicated to me my cleaning process was working sufficiently.

You mentioned feathering your pedals in shallow water and possibly picking up sand. I am very conscious of that also. Even during launching and landing I insert and remove my Mirage Drive respectively while I sit in several feet of water. In other words, I never launch or land with the Mirage Drive in place. (Note: My drive is leashed.)

The Mirage Drive is a remarkable mechanical device but it's not impervious to neglect. Just a little attention like you and I have done will keep it in good order.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Break Free CLP is what I use on all my firearms...originally for the military use, it is a much improved product over WD-40...after a through bore treatment with Sweets I spray some Break Free on a cloth and wipe down my guns and spray some down the barrels- a few swabs of dry patches and the outer surfaces wiped down with dry soft rags they go back in the gun safe...change out the humidifier and it is good to go for another year..
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for the Mirage Drive cleaning tips. I hadn't thought about using CLP, but it makes total sense. If CLP can break down carbon deposits in weapon receivers and barrels, it will certainly clean out whatever the Bay will throw at it.

I also hadn't heard about the "Dry" version of WD-40. What a great idea! I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have been using Blaster Garage door lubricant on my drive. It dries clear and dust free. Also it's water resistant and HD/ Lowes sells it. Here's a link

http://blastercorp.com/mobile/Garage-Door-Lube.html
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
            I also hadn't heard about the "Dry" version of WD-40. What a great idea! I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
            This what I've been using:

IMG_0338.jpg

WD-40 makes a variety of "dry" lubricants.

I think it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you provide some form of lubricant and you don't use something damaging to plastic. The Mirage Drive is totally exposed to the elements. So whatever you put on it is going to wash off in time.

I especially like the long nozzle to apply the lubricant into tight areas.

In fact, I carry a small can with me in my kayak just in case I hear a squeak while I'm on the water or feel a difference in my pedals. Believe me, if you've never lubricated your drive, you will indeed feel a difference if you do and the first place you'll notice is through the pedals. The drive simply runs smoother after lubrication.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              This what I've been using:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22191[/ATTACH]

WD-40 makes a variety of "dry" lubricants.

I think it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you provide some form of lubricant and you don't use something damaging to plastic. The Mirage Drive is totally exposed to the elements. So whatever you put on it is going to wash off in time.

I especially like the long nozzle to apply the lubricant into tight areas.

In fact, I carry a small can with me in my kayak just in case I hear a squeak while I'm on the water or feel a difference in my pedals. Believe me, if you've never lubricated your drive, you will indeed feel a difference if you do and the first place you'll notice is through the pedals. The drive simply runs smoother after lubrication.
              Thanks Mark! I'll add a can of the stuff to my cleaning repertoire.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
              X