Need some advice getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice getting started

Hi everyone. I have decided to try Kayak fishing in the bay. As you can probably tell from my handle, I am from the NYC area and grew up salt water fishing, especially for stripers. No, they are not called 'rockfish'

I have not paddled a canoe for years, but had merit badges for both canoe and life saving and did many river canoe trips and am a strong swimmer, so I think I have a good foundation to start. I would like a suggestion about where to learn basic kayak skills, preferably from someplace I can rent and learn on a sit on top model, since that is what I will be using to fish from. Also, I plan to start by using a good guide, one who can tolerate a noob. so, any suggestions there are appreciated as well. Anywhere on the bay would be fine.

I'm looking forward to meeting you face to face in the the near future.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I should have mentioned my name, Gary and I am in NOVA

Comment

I would strongly advise you get a sit on top kayak in the 12-14' range and hookup on the site with someone near you who will show you the "ropes" of basic kayaking...it won't take you long to become proficient...best to shop around and perhaps get a used paddle kayak off Craig's list....or keep your eye on the forum for kayaks from our Snaggedline crew...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Ron. I think I will start with an instructor, then rent a few different kyaks before I buy.

Comment

I will give you some free advice- all our Snaggedline folks are really nice people- while we all come from very different backgrounds, we all will help someone get into the sport- I live in Southern Maryland...if I lived closer, I would invite you over and give you all the tips, instructions you would need- three Snaggedliners did that for me and I owe the forum...Moc, Ictularus, and Kevinfry did that for me many years ago- I did not know how to enter or exit a kayak...Moc had to bring me my PFD I left at the dock...we all started from scratch- someone showed us...save your money on instructor...but places like Backyard Boats, Easton Cycle and Sports, Delaware Paddlesports, etc. have expert kayak folks who won't steer you wrong...I am positive that someone from Northern Virginia will chime in...and by all means try out paddling/peddling several different kayaks if you get a chance-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Ron, I am sure everyone here is great and I half suspect that someone will chime in. Over the years, I've taught a few people to shoot and loaned out a number of guns to try for people I met on firearms forums. I would not be surprised if someone here decides to pay it forward too. I'm already scanning the marketplace forum here and have begun to look around for advice on racks for my car. I may also pick up a Rod/Reel combo I saw in the Tackle Box.

Comment

Good advice Ron, I hooked up with Delaware Paddlesports and going book with them for an introduction to kayaks and yak fishing. THere is a good website I use for advice and reviews on electronics and they have branched into sporting goods. Here is their write up from last week on the best beginners kayaks ://http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-kayak-for-beginners-on-flat-water/

Comment

Gary, I live in NOVA (Alexandria) and get on the bay or lower Potomac most weekends. Fishing a couple miles on either side of the WW Bridge in a pinch can be decent at times. Had some great night trips as well.
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Are you still in the NYC area if so seek out the NYKFA group reach out to a man named Jay Delgado or Dennis Graham. I met them during the Jbay tourney and they shared far more knowledge than I deserved.
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Thanks guys. Based on your advice, I checked out Delaware Paddle Sports. I think I will go out there next week, get a bit of instruction and either rent a yak or see if I can get in on one of their fishing tours

Comment

Working...
                    X