Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maryland Culling Rockfish 12 midnight to 5am Please verify...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Culling Rockfish 12 midnight to 5am Please verify...

Maryland Culling Rockfish 12 midnght to 5am Please verify...

thanks... I haven't found recent documents.

R.

Not sure I understand the question/post but is illegal to fish for rockfish between midnight and 5 AM. it is also illegal to cull rockfish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Do not be fishing in possession of rockfish between those hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...triped-bass-4/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Not sure I understand the question/post but is illegal to fish for rockfish between midnight and 5 AM. it is also illegal to cull rockfish.
          It's not illegal to fish for them after midnight, just illegal to take any. You can catch and release. I was told by DNR it's amazing how many people hide in the cover of night and harvest illegal fish.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I have always hated this rule. The fish are in the water 24hrs a day and that time of night is often excellent fishing in the shallows. They way it was explained to me is if you catch a fish and keep it you cannot fish after midnight that day. Even if you go put it in your car and go back out, DNR could make the argument that you caught it after midnight. It's a hefty fine and not worth the risk so on good nights in the fall it ends up being all C&R!
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Well... actually... I did know the rule, and I do know about culling...
              although a quick review of the website I didn't see it as a "current" regulation..
              probably missed it...

I put it out there because I pulled up to Mattapeake at about 5am Saturday morning to check the winds..
              (more on my trip in another post)

And there were three gentleman.. in a center console boat.. oh.. I guess around $30,000 to $40,000 type..
              and a real nice SUV...

Only one of them spoke English, and the one I could communicate with could barely understand my
              question about how the winds were out in the bay.

My only assumption... as they had close to $80,000 in boat and SUV... was they are very frugal.
              Which I can understand... because when I buy my $3.75 bag of ice.. I save and refreeze for the next trip.

I applaud these three gentleman's frugal'ness as they moved three coolers large coolers off the boat...
              which I can only believe was to save the ice they had purchased.

In the early morning before 5am... I guess it is the best time of day to save your ice...
              And not be found at Mattapeake by the DNR.

Comment

Next time, make a call to the DNR hotline. What you witnessed could have been criminal behavior and it is the right thing to do.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                X