Potomac River Wade for Smallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River Wade for Smallies

Did a 3 hour wade trip in the Potomac this morning. River was clear and beautiful. Zero strikes on a popper. 1 strike on a bullet head darter behind a ledge. The fish came off at my feet before I could lip it. Zero other strikes. Zero sunfish. I was off the water at 10:30 am.
    I'm getting discouraged. My fly fishing for smallies has been very difficult this year.

Tom,

Don't be discouraged.

I fished the Rappahannock today and had similar (non) success.

I got lots of swirls on my popper but no hookups. Then I leaned why. The fish were miniscule.

I caught one tiny smallmouth and one equally little sun fish on a wooly bugger.

I found these on the shore:

P1010941.jpg

I think I should have tried them!

Otherwise, the scenery was pretty and it was a beautiful day to wade:

P1010931.jpg P1010937.jpg P1010938.jpg

I suggest we both try the Potomac again in September. Those smallies have to fatten up for the winter. They usually start their fly-feast that month. You won't be discouraged then.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was talking with a friend this morning about how it discuss me how people just leave their trash everywhere along the banks of the river and local lakes. They can haul their worm containers in to fish but can't seem to carry the empty ones out if the state would decide to make these resources unavailable to us due to the littering everyone would complain like a bunch of spoiled children. I just wish people would be more considerate of these resources.

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
        I was talking with a friend this morning about how it discuss me how people just leave their trash everywhere along the banks of the river and local lakes. They can haul their worm containers in to fish but can't seem to carry the empty ones out if the state would decide to make these resources unavailable to us due to the littering everyone would complain like a bunch of spoiled children. I just wish people would be more considerate of these resources.
        Very true. I must admit that I left the containers where I found them because I could barely get myself up the steep bank and over the rocks, logjams and through the thicket. Sadly, I also saw beer cans and discarded fishing line which often accompany bait containers at these sites. I wonder if the folks who litter like this are as careless and lazy within their own households.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Don't be discouraged. It took me quite some time to figure them out this weekend. I was just upstream of you this weekend , fished the needles and stretches above the past 2 days near Harper's ferry.
          Only one hookup in a streamer the rest were on top water booglebugs. Caught 9 smallies and 2 bluegills. Had to find the slowest water behind large boulders. Fished a dark fly and dead drifted. Keeping a tight line and giving a wiggle to the fly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great photo!

Comment

Congrats on your catches.

Top water made it even better.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here are my photos from the trip.

Comment

Nice photos.

I recognize those rocks.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    Did a 3 hour wade trip in the Potomac this morning. River was clear and beautiful. Zero strikes on a popper. 1 strike on a bullet head darter behind a ledge. The fish came off at my feet before I could lip it. Zero other strikes. Zero sunfish. I was off the water at 10:30 am.
                    I'm getting discouraged. My fly fishing for smallies has been very difficult this year.
                    Waded Brunswick upstream from the family campground today and swung everything imaginable for 3 hours with an 11"6" switch rod and a 480 (!) grain head, trying to cover as much water as possible. Clousers, ants, buggers, nymphs, sneakies, etc etc. Nothing. Tiring work for an old man, too. I decided to stop and focus on a blowdown by the shore about 200 yards above the launch on my way back, tempting fate because I promised to be home to cook dinner. Wouldn't you know, hooked up on every cast. Moderate smallies (but beautiful warpaint) and some honking red breasts. A good reminder to focus on water that looks like fish rather than trying to cover everything.

Comment

Great report! I hope to hit it again this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X