Lower Slower Speckled Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Slower Speckled Trout

Long time lurker, first time fishing report poster! With the balmy weather and tide situation being so favorable, a buddy and I launched at 1845 from St. Mary's College and headed to some spots that I had previously scouted for their potential "fishy-ness". We were trolling popeye bucktails. I had a 3/4 oz. white one, not sure what size he had. My buddy was the first to hook up, landing a 14" puppy drum. We then found a bunch of 14"-19" schoolie rockfish. Through the evening we probably caught and released a dozen each. The highlight of my evening though, were the speckled trout that I encountered! I caught a total of three last night. Ranging from 13", to a new personal best of 16.75" one. Still pretty pumped today thinking about that fish. Didn't think I'd see any personally this season, but goes to show you can't catch anything if you don't have a line in the water! tight lines and stay safe. Here's some photos of the two smaller ones. Speckled Trout 3.jpg Speckled Trout 2.jpg
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Nice report and pictures. The Slower Lower producing again. That's great to see. It's been a real good year for Specs and puppy Drum. Glad you and your friend had a "Great "outing

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Nice first report, I love catching speckies, they're one of my favorite fish to eat too.

Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"
      Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Congratulations- Specks and Redfish have been making me smile a lot this year in the Slower Lower...nice to see bucktails catching fish...with the advent of Paddletails seems like fewer Anglers are pulling bucktails...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Well done. We're also seeing some 12-13" flounder showing up in the mix as well. Not unusual to catch 4-6 different species in an outing right know in the lower Potomac and its tributaries. Now that your published, no more lurking
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Congratulations- Specks and Redfish have been making me smile a lot this year in the Slower Lower...nice to see bucktails catching fish...with the advent of Paddletails seems like fewer Anglers are pulling bucktails...
            What can I say, it's what I still have in the tackle box and I'm cheap. The fishing has just been phenomenal this year. Can't wait to see what fall top water brings.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              What can I say, it's what I still have in the tackle box and I'm cheap. The fishing has just been phenomenal this year. Can't wait to see what fall top water brings.
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback

Comment

Working...
              X