Recon Scouting Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon Scouting Trip

Long ago my parents would take me to and old Mill Pond to fish. This was about 30 years ago and it was on my list of "wild" ponds to check.

I did a parcel search and the pond, or what we found left of it, is owned by the MD Department of Natural Resources. I also found that the 200 acres or so on the discharge creek was owned by the State of Maryland and it appears they scooped up some farm land as it became available. The only issue is the only "easy" access to the pond is private property. You could walk the discharge creek out of it and be on state property but the only walk able route would be to literally wade in the creek. There are power lines that are on private property that will get you close. You still have to ford a small creek and go through a marsh.

Luckily enough for us the power company had been there some time in the recent past and went through the marsh with their tracked crawler. This left a trail through the marsh grass for us to follow. If not for the trail this would be dealing with a major obstacle.

This is a look back over the area we just crossed.

Once we got out of the marsh area and out of the low lands it was a nice stroll down a farm field. One area was heavily posted "No Trespassing" but we didn't cross that line. That was a smaller 12 acre parcel I noted on the parcel search.

Once we got to the pond location we ventured into the creek outflow and walked up the creek.

Unfortunately we discovered one section of the damn has been broken and hasn't been repaired. This happened in the late 80's and has never been fixed.

There is still a small pond there but the level is 3'-5' down from what I remembered as a child.

This where the old spillway outflow was before the dam break.

We fished the old spillway pool. This place was where I always fished as a kid. The water was stagnant and dark. Back in the day this was a bustling pool with lots of flow.

It was a good trip for exploring. We each caught a pickerel so we didn't get skunked this trip. There is still a small pond there that is basically nothing but the original creek channel. I don't think this pond warrants dragging kayaks back there but it does give me some notes to add to my pond data base. Hopefully I will have hit all the ponds I have pinned in the next 3 years. You never know how a pond will turn out to be if you don't try.

This is the third pond that was there when I was a kid that no longer exists. It's a sad feeling as I remember catching a big bass on my dad's pole there and also landing my largest bluegill there.
    Last edited by willf650; 08-25-2017, 03:25 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

I'm really enjoying these posts! I have been doing similar, but less intense, explorations of creeks and ponds near my house this summer since I haven't had the time to make many saltwater expeditions. There is just something cool about hiking in and fishing where you know no one has fished in a long time. Hopefully it pays off with an awesome secluded spot eventually!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

You are a brave guy to do that kind of trekking doing tick season. I have cut way back on my summer hikes after two tick bull eyes and a round of antibiotics each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
        You are a brave guy to do that kind of trekking doing tick season. I have cut way back on my summer hikes after two tick bull eyes and a round of antibiotics each time.
        I'm suffering right now from chigger bites from last weekend's adventure but they are getting better. My girlfriend did pull an embedded tick off my back last night. I will keep and eye out on it. I called the doctor today and asked about it and they said not to worry about it as it wasn't a deer tick. I did treat my pants with tick repellent a couple days ago but not my shirt. I think I'm going to sacrifice a long sleeve shirt to the cause as well.

My cohort got a red ring a couple months ago but never found the tick that caused it. He did get a weeks worth of antibiotics for it.

I pulled about 20 ticks off of me in one trip a couple months ago. It was the only time I've seen deer ticks on me. I don't think I will be going back to that location. That is what caused me to get the tick replant.
        2015 Coosa HD

Comment

It doesn't take mother nature long to restore a site that was once solely hers.

Interesting report and photos.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Again, cool report and great photos. I wish there were more areas to explore near me.

Comment

I'm liking the adventures too. It reminds me of my youth growing up in the Philly area trying to fish every little creek or pond we could bushwack or ride our bikes to.

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
              My girlfriend did pull an embedded tick off my back last night. I will keep and eye out on it. I called the doctor today and asked about it and they said not to worry about it as it wasn't a deer tick.
              That isn't the best advice from your doc since other ticks can spread disease too. For instance, lone star ticks spread Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and they don't have to be embedded nearly as long a deer tick does to spread Lyme. Certainly keep an eye it.
              Brian

Comment

That isn't the best advice from your doc since other ticks can spread disease too. For instance, lone star ticks spread Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and they don't have to be embedded nearly as long a deer tick does to spread Lyme. Certainly keep an eye it.[/QUOTE]

That's very true Brian. My son was bitten years ago by a Lone Star, and it has caused him to develop an allergic reaction that can put him in the ER every time he eats meat products that come from a mammal.

Comment

If your going to be doing that kind of hiking I would recommend getting some sawyers permethrin. It's usually in the outdoors sections of retailers, comes in a big yellow spray bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                    If your going to be doing that kind of hiking I would recommend getting some sawyers permethrin. It's usually in the outdoors sections of retailers, comes in a big yellow spray bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Already have it. It's what I treated my pants with.
                    2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Working...
                    X