Finally, Free From The Shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, Free From The Shore

For years I've been stuck fishing from the shore, making my rounds to various public pears and shorelines in the Baltimore area. Always at the mercy of the fish, hoping they would just happen to be where I was on that particular day. I needed to break free of the shore. I looked at buying a boat but quickly came to realize, I could never afford even the cheapest BPS Tracker, at least not on a state employee salary. A friend of mine then offered to sell me his old Ascend 12t and convinced me it was a cheap alternative. He let me borrow it to try it out and I spent a day paddling around Piney Run. I had a good day, caught a few decent bass but at the end of the day, my back hurt, my butt was wet and I wasn't really impressed with the BPS kayak. But I was convinced this was the way off the shore, so I started researching. I knew my budget and I knew what bells and whistles I wanted. Over about three months I learned every thing I could about kayak fishing and what makes a good yak. I made my decision and the day finally came. I drove to the nearest dealer, paid the man, drove home and was staring at my knew baby. A 2017, Vibe Sea Ghost 130 in the smoke white color, I named her the, "Saxatilies Specter." I took her out for the first time last weekend, launching from Southwest Area Park, in Baltimore County. The river was very muddy from recent rains and was all but unfishable. But I was able to put the Sea Ghost through her paces. So far I am impressed, bang for buck it's a great little boat and about a thousand times superior to the BPS Ascend that stated my journey. I plan on going out again this weekend and am determined to land her first fish. I think I will very quickly become obsessed with this sport and that's a good thing. Thanks for reading and may always your fishing be grand.

Jengles.
    Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"
    Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

The Vibe Sea Ghost is an awesome kayak for the price. Enjoy your new ride. And don't forget the mods.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Thank you sir, I certainly will. I've already started on the mods, fishfinder, battery box, volt meter w/DC power plug and usb plugs. Next on my list is the hinge for the center console I've seen on you tube.
      Jengles

Comment

Nice to see more Vibe owners showing up here, I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it. I wish I could join you this weekend, but I won't have any time to get out.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Jengles,

Welcome to Snaggedline and to the hobby!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I've learned a lot while reading posts on the forum and hopefully I'll be able to contribute some help of my own some day. Can't wait to be sitting in my kayak again.
            Jengles

Comment

Where's a good place to get a vibe I live in Maryland and apparently md has no vibe dealers

Yakman35
              Perception striker 11.5

Comment

I got mine from French Creek Outfitters just outside of Philly. I think it was about $40 to have it shipped to my house, which was better than driving up there and paying sales tax, tolls, gas etc.
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Nice that's the closest place I've found it's like a 2hour drive for me closest other than that was a 4 hour one way to VA

Yakman35
                  Perception striker 11.5

Comment

I was gonna go to French Creek in PA, they have good reviews. But I ended up getting it from Oak Tree Outfitters at the Virginia Sportsman Show in Richmond. They gave me a good deal and threw in a few freebies as well. Their shop is in Hayes, VA.
                    Jengles

Comment

Congratulations Jengles! I've heard lots of good things about Vibes - can't wait to hear about your adventures.
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Jengles: Welcome to the forum! Glad you found a yak that you like. I love getting out and fishing. I do it once a week, but would love it if I could do it more often. Several suggestions:

-- *Always* were a PFD. Exceptionally good swimmers have drowned in surprisingly small bodies of water. Paranoid people stay alive.
                        -- *Never* wear anything cotton. Not even undies. I go to the thrift store and buy used stuff. Works like a champ.

Welcome aboard!

Best Regards,
                        Stan
                        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thank you for the advice. But of course, always safety first.
                          Jengles

Comment

Working...
                          X