2009 Hobie Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Hobie Odyssey

I took my wife out kayaking Friday and Saturday, and to my surprise, she really liked it. SO, we are really thinking of buying a friends 2009 Hobie Odyssey. This would be:

-- For her only,
    -- For her and a grand-child or teen aged daughter
    -- Or maybe me grand-child or teen aged daughter

This friend is selling the Odyssey, seats, paddles and two installed tracks for $500.

What do you guys think? Also, any input on it's: Stability, tracking, speed, etc would be great.

She is not so into fishing, but would love to crab. I'd think the tandem would give her enough roof for that. Correct?? Has anyone tried standing on one of these??

I know that a previous message I posted, there was a lot of feedback on ballast issues. But, a mutual friend took out the Odyssey with the seat moved to the middle, and it worked fine for him.

I was thinking, that I: would buy it for $500, try it for a year or so, and if it doesn't work out sell it for the same price??

Thanks,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-21-2017, 11:01 AM.
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

While I don't have a odyssey I do own a ocean kayak Malibu 2xl and might be able to give some insight on a tandem setup. As far as a solo yak it shouldn't be to bad to paddle. I used mine on the river a lot solo this past year and a few times I took it trolling for striper. As far as speed I would say 2-3mph would be a max with a solo paddler. Stability on the tandem kayaks are really good because of there width. As far as a crabbing platform I could see its uses with a very open deck should allow her to stack up a lot of crab traps/pots and other gear. I think tandems are great as long as both users are on the same page. When going out with my girlfriend I tend to consider it more of a "nature day". Are we going to paddle 10 miles like I tend to? No but I know that's something she isn't into. 500 seems to be a good deal and I'm sure if it didn't work that seems to be the going rate for them and should be able to sell it without any loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
    X