Fruatrated, and discouraged.... kayak trolling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtnmike.ma View Post
    I use tides4fishing and FishWeather. Neither is perfect but adequate resources for the most part. It was great getting on the water with you up at ft Smallwood last Saturday. Since then I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to one of those pro fish reloads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have an extra one you are always welcome to try out and we can get out a few times and you can decide whay you think of it on the water. I loved them personally they are very versatile and handle the wind and chop like a cjhamp. But the offer is out there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Sabiki rigs are illegal in the tidal waters of Maryland.

Wow! Thanks Mike, I did not know this.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Vikingyaker View Post
        Thanks for the info.... no sabiki rigs! DAMMIT. what is a good local tide app for the phone the one i used in texas doesmt cover all the way out of here

Fishing Points...https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fishingpoints

I also use Wind Finder.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
          Fishing Points...https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fishingpoints

I also use Wind Finder.
          Awesome thanks

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
            Viking,

I’m one of those guys that likes to troll jig heads and paddle tails. The jig head/paddle tail rig is simple and versatile – easily transitioning from trolling to light-tackle jigging duties if called for.

This time of year I recommend a tandem rig combination. I pair a 1/4oz “Trout Eye” to a 3/8oz or 1/2oz “Gulp!-brand” jighead. The paddle tail I use is a 3” or 4” Zman-brand“MinnowZ”. Pick a color or two that seem natural to you; a tried-and-true producer is “Opening Night”.

I can troll up to four rods at a time (4x 2 rigs/rod = 8 hooks), but as soon as I find what color is working on that particular day, I simplify things by reeling in the non-producing color(s) and end up trolling one or two rods at most.

I keep an additional rod rigged with a white or chartreuse Specialized Bait "Li'l Bunker" casting spoon in case I come upon any breaking fish or diving birds. I could also simplify one of the trolling rods at that time to a single jig head/paddle tail rig for jigging duties in order to reach deeper (i.e. bigger) fish below the breaking school.

Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22166[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22168[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22169[/ATTACH]
            I always have a 1/4oz w/ an opening night minnow out, it's the other lure I troll which varies, but typically I stick to just the jig/paddletail combo. It's a lot of trial and error, and spending money on lures which might be flashy and great for others, that may or may not work for you. I like the 1/4oz bass assassin jigheads, they don't seem to rust really, and the hook size is perfect for the zman minnows and grass kickers. I also recommend the foreverlast g2 floating net, it's orange in color, and has been great for me. It really helps to control a fish, since I've got a sit in side kayak, space is at a premium. The gps/fishfinder combo (lowrance elite 4 hdi) that I got has been incredible too, I just mark a point wherever I catch a few fish, or if I see a big school of fish on the finder screen, I drop a point. Then I will just circle back a go through that same area a few times with different spreads, typically it will produce a few more fish. Last week we had our monthly meet and greet, which I highly recommend attending, and I believe I was the only one to catch any keeper size rockfish. I think 1 was just sheer luck, but another was due to just refusing to leave a spot that I knew held fish. I can also recommend some good light and heavy rod setups if you want that info as well, there's no need to spend 100s of dollars on a setup, as long as you know what to get and do a little maintenance here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikingyaker View Post
              I have an extra one you are always welcome to try out and we can get out a few times and you can decide whay you think of it on the water. I loved them personally they are very versatile and handle the wind and chop like a cjhamp. But the offer is out there

Love my profish too!

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Speaking of being frustrated. Just came back from my 5 times out with not keeper rock fish. But, I returned 7 Rocks that I caught. the biggest was a little over 19. Most were around 14-ish. But, I had a blast! Launched before dawn, paddled my heart out till 10:00. What a great sport this is!

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                  Wow! Thanks Mike, I did not know this.

Best Regards,
                  Stan
                  Sabiki rigs are illegal in the tidal waters of Maryland.

Ironically I was at Dicks today getting some supplies and they had 4 display slots of Sabiki rigs for sale.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I was just about to post this as well,

DSG & BPS fully stock sabiki, it's up to the angler to know the laws.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                    X