Southern MD / St. Inigoes - Rockfish Topwater - A few Reds - 08/20/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern MD / St. Inigoes - Rockfish Topwater - A few Reds - 08/20/17

On the water at sun-up. Aside from a couple shorts, St. Inigoes was essentially dead. (Usually not the case) Headed a couple miles down river and anywhere from half to a mile offshore there were acres of breaking rockfish. Bailed them for well over an hour. Surprised they stayed up that long. Getting below the schools didn't matter. All but one was short. Moved into the breakwaters along Lawsons Point looking for reds. Found one 18", then moved into Rowley Bay and found couple more. (22"/23" inch). Snagged a blowfish in the process. Headed to the mouth of Potters Creek 1.5 miles further down river. Usually consistent with a variety of fish. Not today.

820B.JPG820A.jpg820C.JPG
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

That blowfish is pretty cool!
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Well done and beautiful red fish. This year has been special for them. I don't know what is going on in Smith Creek, but it's been tough sledding this year in the creek.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Well done and beautiful red fish. This year has been special for them. I don't know what is going on in Smith Creek, but it's been tough sledding this year in the creek.
        You're right Mike. Worst I've seen it. Can only speak for when I've been there, but bait in the creek just doesn't seem to be around.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Excellent report...been an exceptional year for keeper redfish and speckled trout- looks like you put some miles on your yak to find fish- well done- congratulations...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Smith Creek

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
            You're right Mike. Worst I've seen it. Can only speak for when I've been there, but bait in the creek just doesn't seem to be around.
            You don't suppose those pound nets with leaders to the shore have anything to do with it? They've been there since spring and the fishing hasn't been nearly as good as last year.

Comment

No way of telling but obviously it is taking some amount of fish. I'll need another year of observation to say if it's impacting fishing or not. Yesterday there were vast schools of rocks and blues breaking outside the creek and the day before I marked a school of bait 100 yards long inside the creek. In place of rockfish we've seen a huge increase in speck and red catches this year. Could be warming waters are pushing rocks further north and more southern fish taking their place. Of course I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so take my words for the science there worth.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
              X