Landed a nice sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landed a nice sheep

Forecast was great for today (and yesterday) for getting out to the bridge and high tide was predicted for 7:45 AM, which made plans come together well. Was out and fishing by 7:00 AM and hooked the 19" sheep on the first drop down around 7:30. I'm starting to understand how the bite feels and now that I've seen their mouth/teeth up close, I understand why it's so hard to hook them. Hooked another one a little while later, but it bent my hook in half and got off. They were biting on mole crabs with a 1/0 hook and 2 oz sinker on a 50 LBS leader. I caught a bunch of pesky fish later and attempted to fish for spade fish near first island. Thought I had one, because it slammed the rod and circled around the piling to come off the hook, but I never got to see it.

Oh, and seeing dolphins in the morning was a real treat as always!
    J

Beautiful sheep. Such a great feeling to get a nice fish on one of the first drops of the day.

Comment

Jake, how dare you catch more sheeps without me!!!

That is a nice one. Are you going to cook it? Congrats on the PB!
      Your videos are getting better too.
      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Ha I wish I'd been able to get you on some! Took me long enough.
        I am cooking this one. I've had it broiled and fried so far. I'm tempted to try it poached.
        Helps the videos when I catch fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        J

Comment

Nice fish.

Bent hook? Dang, that must of been a good one! 1/0 seems small to me. I typically use a 3/0. I like the Gamakatsu Live Bait Hooks (18413); no way a sheep is going to bend those things. Just avoid light wire hooks and lean towards ones made with a heavier gauge wire whatever brand you are using.

Hopefully you'll get 'em up next time to see how big it is!
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
            Ha I wish I'd been able to get you on some! Took me long enough.
            I am cooking this one. I've had it broiled and fried so far. I'm tempted to try it poached.
            Helps the videos when I catch fish!

Let me know how they taste. If you like sushi, try them. I heard they have a good firm texture.

Try gami octopus or owner hooks
            Last edited by Seasalt; 08-23-2017, 10:21 PM.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I was also going to say 1/0 is a small hook for sheepshead. Red owner cutting points in 3/0 or 4/0 is what I use for sheepshead and tog. 3/0 is the smallest I can get on a 50 lb drop loop and has worked fine for smaller sheep up to citation size.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                Nice fish.

Bent hook? Dang, that must of been a good one! 1/0 seems small to me. I typically use a 3/0. I like the Gamakatsu Live Bait Hooks (18413); no way a sheep is going to bend those things. Just avoid light wire hooks and lean towards ones made with a heavier gauge wire whatever brand you are using.

Hopefully you'll get 'em up next time to see how big it is!
                1/0 was definitely small after seeing the mouth on it. I have an assortment of 1/0-4/0 mustad o'shaughnessy hooks. Joe recommended that style for the large eyes, when we were toggin'. I'll look at those and the ones John recommended next time I'm at a shop.

J

Comment

Working...
                X