More Slower Lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Slower Lower

My son and I went out on 8/16 to check out the evening bite at Pt. Lookout. The topwater bite was slow but I had a first time event - two stripers at one time. The larger was about 21". The next morning we headed out of the inlet, caught a variety including a redfish, a small flounder, small croaker, and small striper. The exciting thing was we headed out where the birds were working and found ourselves in the middle of a striper school. Fish jumping everywhere. We caught about 20 each, but all were sub-legal. We did also catch 3 nice bluefish running with the stripers. An exciting morning, even though we got thoroughly drenched in the rain.double.jpg

just goes to show, weathering through the storm has it rewards, very well done!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Good post- PLO is a tough fishing place to figure out because it is so big- Lake Conoy and the inlet is one eco-system...Cornfield Harbor is another...The point and area up to the fishing pier is another...and each one takes a full day of fishing to figure the area on the day of fishing...and it can be some of the best ever fishing or a skunk...in exactly the same spot, under the same conditions...exasperating...one word of advice on a school of breaking fish...if all the fish you are catching are sub-legal size...change up and use deeper jigging to get to the bigger fish...many times the smaller, faster fish are chasing bait on the surface while bigger fish are deeper and actively feeding...this is a good time to use heavier jigheads to get your paddletail down deeper- a 3/8 or 1/2 oz head on a 4 inch paddletail- cast to the edges of the breaking fish and count to five before beginning the retrieve just might get you a keeper striper....and if memory serves me- a good way to get big speckled trout/redfish as well...seems like about two years ago at this time of year, Kevin, Bill and I were fishing up in Cornfield harbor on a big school of breakers...all kinds of fish were mixed in- Spanish Macks, stripers, Bluefish, and down deep, specks...we had launched from one of Kevin's friends private property...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-19-2017, 08:56 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

More Slower Lower

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        Good post- PLO is a tough fishing place to figure out because it is so big- Lake Conoy and the inlet is one eco-system...Cornfield Harbor is another...The point and area up to the fishing pier is another...and each one takes a full day of fishing to figure the area on the day of fishing...and it can be some of the best ever fishing or a skunk...in exactly the same spot, under the same conditions...exasperating...one word of advice on a school of breaking fish...if all the fish you are catching are sub-legal size...change up and use deeper jigging to get to the bigger fish...many times the smaller, faster fish are chasing bait on the surface while bigger fish are deeper and actively feeding...this is a good time to use heavier jigheads to get your paddletail down deeper- a 3/8 or 1/2 oz head on a 4 inch paddletail- cast to the edges of the breaking fish and count to five before beginning the retrieve just might get you a keeper striper....and if memory serves me- a good way to get big speckled trout/redfish as well...seems like about two years ago at this time of year, Kevin, Bill and I were fishing up in Cornfield harbor on a big school of breakers...all kinds of fish were mixed in- Spanish Macks, stripers, Bluefish, and down deep, specks...we had launched from one of Kevin's friends private property...
        Ron, you are so right. To be honest, we were having so much fun catching and releasing (except for the blues) that we forgot to go after the bigger fish.

Comment

Working...
        X