Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you torqeedo users out there.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a huge fan of Torqeedo and have been running mine longer than most at this point. I'm excited about getting the 915 wh battery at some point. It's 3x the size of the standard and you'd be able to go all day on that thing.
    Having my Torqeedo for awhile, I've seen a couple things you really want to be careful with.

1. If you get braid wrapped up in your prop, don't power through it. Remove the propeller and take out the braid. It will cause damage to the seals.
    2. Sometimes the unit will stop working, like someone above mentioned. The issue is that the contacts to the battery get dirty. A quick spray of WD-40 fixes it. Keep the connector clean and you'll be just fine.

Otherwise, it lets me fish like I couldn't before. It was Shady that convinced me to get my Torqeedo. After seeing his in action, it didn't take much more convincing. It's light and efficient.
    It also got me home the other night. I busted a fin so badly that I couldn't pedal at all. The Torqeedo got me home, and it's been a great backup in many situations when I've been far from land. There's no way I'm paddling a Hobie that far :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

As with most things, there are good experiences and bad experiences. I thank you all for the great feedback both ways. I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do and hope to see you out on the water soon.

Mark
      Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I'm not sure if it would work or not, but you might be able to build your own battery pack for less money. Looking at the specs for the Torqueedo battery packs they appear to be 24V deep cycle lithium batteries. The standard 403 pack is rated at 29.6V and 11 aH, but those are actual testing figures. Good battery makers typically meet or exceed their posted ratings, so a 24V 10 aH battery from a reputable company is going to be the same as the standard 403 pack. That being said, I can find that battery for about $265 which leaves plenty of room for a case and connections. The one obvious missing component is the GPS tracker, but that is not necessary with a gps fishfinder which most of us have. What I don't know is whether Torqueedo has any proprietary hardware in their batteries that basically forces you to buy their battery. If I knew I could build my own battery, and I was going to drop $900 on the 915 which is rated for 31 aH, I'd spend an extra $100 at that point and build a 50 aH pack. The weight would be getting up there at just over 30 lbs, but you could speed along pretty fast all day I would imagine.

Edit: it seems the nominal V for the little Torqueedo motors is actually 29.6V, so the fully charged V is probably closer to 33V. Maybe that's how they get you, make them an oddball V so you have to buy theirs.
        Last edited by silasvirus82; 08-21-2017, 02:05 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The gps is also a computer that shows you how much time you have left on the battery and shows how far you went I think. It will also lower the output when it gets to a certain point to give you time to get home. Lithium batteries usually don't slow down like lead core......, they just quit when fully discharged. In addition it also has a lot of load balancing charging stuff so it doesn't explode or cause a fire if charged incorrectly. Oh and it's fully water proof and plug and play ........

I'm sure you can probably build your own but the last time I looked into it a couple of years ago, the costs were not that much different when you added all the stuff you needed. Prices may have come down though.

Comment

I like my Torqeedo. I have been using the same one since 2012, with little or no problem. (knock on wood) I did ruin one lower motor pylon, but that was my fault, hitting rocks, $600 mistake. This would not happen with the rear kick up models. I have the Hobie Evolve that mounts in the peddle drive hole. The good news is that I could fix it myself. I just replaced the lower motor pylon. That is a real plus for the motor. You can work on the motor yourself, given a bit of mechanical dexterity. I do like the motor in the peddle well, as the rear motors are close to my trolling lines, particularly when a fish pulls the line. To each their own for that choice. Over time I have accumulated six batteries. I will troll all day. The only time that I have used most all six is trolling in Florida. Occasionally, I come close on the bay but like a bit of reserve. The newer larger batteries do seem to last longer. However, I have not experience the amount of extended battery life that some have experienced. The motor is sometimes running most all day without problems. The shutting off problem is most likely some sort of built in safety or protection system. It could very well be a contact issue. I have had mine do it maybe twice during the life of the motor. I just have restarted and gone about my way. At first the motor may seem a little quirky, until you learn the ins and outs of the system. Remember, this is not just a battery and motor system. There are additional electronics built into the battery. You do need to occasionally spray the plugs and contacts with WD40. The tech people at Torqeedo told me not to use dielectric grease, as it could stop data from running through the contacts. The cables not only transfer power, but also data. The motor does wine a bit when running. This may be an issue for freshwater fisherman. However, on the bay the fish are inundated with noise. I frequently come upon a school of stripers near the surface, particularly in the evenings, and they don't flare until they are right in front of the bow and sense the hull. Sometimes it may be like 10 or 15 fish. As far as fresh water, I practice the use of approaching an area at a consistent low speed and not suddenly going to a fast speed. I fish freshwater quite successfully. As with any addition to a kayak, one more addition is one more thing that can go wrong. I must say that I have not met any peddle or paddle kayakers that can keep up for a day of trolling. I am not saying they may not be out there, but I know my limitations.

In the past I have also had a BassYak. I liked that system. However, I did not like the weight, 68 lbs each, of the two size 31 deep cycle batteries that I would have to carry. The Torqeedo batteries are about 6lbs each.

Good luck.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-22-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdawg View Post
              As with most things, there are good experiences and bad experiences. I thank you all for the great feedback both ways. I will keep you all posted on what I decide to do and hope to see you out on the water soon.

Mark
              There are other very good products available besides these two.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                There are other very good products available besides these two.
                Tell me more! Always open for ideas.

I have decided to go with a 45 lb Minn Kota Endura Max. It has the built in maximizer. Going home made. I love to tinker in the garage and fabricate. I have all the necessary shade tree skills (welding, design, electronics, ect...). Going with foot controlled steering and mounting the speed controller next to my seat.

I started last night when the motor arrived. I have been taking pictures. I was thinking I may post a write up on Snaggedline of the whole project if anyone was interested....

Mark
                Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Love to see your final product and write up.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have decided to go with a 45 lb Minn Kota Endura Max. It has the built in maximizer. Going home made. I love to tinker in the garage and fabricate. I have all the necessary shade tree skills (welding, design, electronics, ect...). Going with foot controlled steering and mounting the speed controller next to my seat.

I started last night when the motor arrived. I have been taking pictures. I was thinking I may post a write up on Snaggedline of the whole project if anyone was interested....

Mark
                    I'd enjoy watching over your shoulder on here. Please post. Good luck.

Comment

Mark
                      I also picked up an Endura C2, not sure if 32lb or 42lb thrust, bought it for a steal of a deal and figured i'd fabricate something later, for long trips out from shore.

Curious to see your rigging, please take photos along the way or post a build thread we can subscribe to!
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Will do guys. Stay tuned!
                        Jackson Big Tuna
                        Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I've gone that route too. It is cheap but you still have a heavy motor that is built for power and not speed, 60lbs + for batteries necessary to give you less time than the Torqeedo, you don't have the kill switch or the switch that will turn off if you turtle. These keep the yak from running away from you if you fall out and trying to get back in. The footprint is much larger ...... especially when you have to center and secure a heavy battery. Most rear mounted are locked down and don't have steering and don't pull up easily you have to add some kind of speed control box and battery meter if it is rear mounted. If you have a Hobie and make a Mirage drive mount you can use the existing twist handle controls but you can't use the Mirage drive at the same time and its tough to switch them while on the water.

The Torqeedo has a very small footprint, weighs 16 lbs with everything including the battery, controller, wires, and engine. Everything is included. You can have it installed and fishing in about 2 hours instead of a couple of days/weeks. It tells you how far you went and how long you can go on the battery. The engine stops if you fall out or turtle so the yak doesn't leave you stranded in the middle of the bay. It has steering and you can pull it up with ease when not in use. It is faster and runs longer than the Minnkota type engines even using the largest marine (100ah) batteries that are 60+ lbs.

The Torqeedo is built specifically for the yak. Trust me ........ I spent 2 years trying different things and engines before I got a Torqeedo. While it is the most expensive......... it's worth every penny and nothing that I've found compares. Shoot ...... I have 4 electrics on the back of my Jon boat that I tried and another one still in the box that I never used because I tried a Torqeedo and never looked back.

But hey ......... you can only find out by trying stuff yourself. This was just my journey

Comment

Thanks Memory Maker. I appreciate you giving me your journey and everything you said makes sense. I may in the future end up with the Torqeedo, I think it is an awesome setup. I certainly don't have anything against it. The price is a bit steep but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

However, I love to fabricate/build. I love being able to stand back and look at something I have designed and built. I have done quite a bit of research on this. I have found two very reliable sources for LiFePo4 batteries. My research has shown that this type of Lithium battery is best for this application. A 50Ah battery cost just over $ 400 and a 100Ah batter costs $ 900. I truly believe that either of these batteries will compete and possible beat the Torqeedo. I may be wrong but we shall see. Weight of the batteries are 16 lbs and 29 lbs.

Speed? Heck yeah! I ain't that old yet But that isn't why I am doing it. It is more for fishability and trolling.
                            Jackson Big Tuna
                            Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Afiac as an alternative your heading the right direction. Speed really isn't the importance trust me. If your out on the bay or in a strong current and if 21- 30mph winds suddenly kick up coupled with your going against the current your going to really appreciate having a bigger, stronger motor. Very long runtimes can be achieved using the right combination and smart usage. The weight can be a factor if using Sla vs Lithium dependent on the size of the battery. My 75ah Lithium weighs the same as a 35Ah sla @ 25lbs. A 50ah weighs around 15lbs and a 35 ah around 10 or 11lbs. Are you planning on separating the maximizer unit from the head?

My set up;
                              Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

My biggest problem with building lithium batteries is the risk of fire and explosions. We've all seen the fires from the very small lithium batteries in phones, vapes and hover boards. I can't imagine a fire from one the size needed to power an electric trolling engine. Please make sure you use something that has software that insures balanced charging and discharges. I know Torqeedo has the BLM system and encase each cell in metal containers.
                                Here is an article I found on the Torqeedo battery.

http://www.theplastichull.net/catego...yak/whats-new/

Oldbayrunner. Your set up looks nice. Relion batteries are good but the one you have goes for @ $1200 with a charger.
                                Last edited by Memory Maker; 08-24-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X