Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you torqeedo users out there.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you torqeedo users out there.....

I have done quite a bit of research (and read a lot of archived threads) on torqeedo vs bassyak. I believe I want to go with the torqeedo just due to size and weight advantages. Also, I think it would be pretty easy to move between my two kayaks if I purchase an extra "ball" mount for the motor. This is a pretty big advantage as I like to take the Tuna when my son goes fishing or crabbing with me.

My question is....for those of you that have been using torqeedo, what are your long term reviews?

I contacted Torqeedo and asked if I could just buy the 403 with a 915 wh battery instead of the small one. They said no, it wasn't offered as a package. I am surprised and disappointed. So on top of buying a $1800 system, they want another $ 900 for an extended battery!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer on durability and if you would purchase again.

Mark
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

I have the Torqeedo Evolve V2. I have been using it a lot lately due to a leg injury.....
    I love the long battery life. I can get a solid 6-hours of trolling in a PA-12 with my 240ish frame.
    My unit is just 1-year old. The main issue with mine's is that it's HINKY at best. You'll just be tooling along trolling and it cuts off. I put it in reverse and it works again, then back to forward and it works again. No telling when it will cut off, 20 minutes-1-hour?? Sometimes I have to do the I.T. special and turn it all the way off and back on to get it to power up. I baby my Yak's and my electronics so I don't have any maintenance issues.
    That's pretty unreliable for a $2,000 thousand dollar unit.

It may end up on EBay or Craigslist at season's end! PS-Don't tell my wife

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I can attest to its reliability issues as I've left Gary at the dock several times fighting with his motor. He failed to mention that to me its loud for an electric motor. You can hear the hum from 30 yards away. For some it might be an issue, for others they just accept it as the price of a motor.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike is dead on.
        Yes it is LOUD, even for me. It kills the tranquility of kayak fishing. I got it with the thought to get to farther locations, then switching to the Mirage Drive, which I did the first six months, but having to use it exclusively is a pardon the Pun " A Buzz Killer"

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I had one for five years and it was nice and I thought fairly reliable. However, after getting braiding line around the prop a few too many times (once of my own and other times just from others discarded into the water), the seal failed, water got in and ruined the motor. I've been without it since last August and don't really miss it too much. Next time I want a motor I'm just getting a boat...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yak67 ........ have you contacted the Torqeedo Techs? They may have a solution.

Ryan ........ Torqeedo had problems with the seals and line earlier but I heard they fixed that problem.

I have mine for several years but I don't go that much. I know Yakfish and Jeff Little use theirs constantly without problems.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping for some more positive experiences! I think I may reconsider.....
              Jackson Big Tuna
              Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

How many people would you like to contact for their liking of the Torqeedo? It would be ashame to not enjoy all of the benefits of this engine based on 1 post. I was one of the original users of the Torqeedo and I have used electric only boats on the Baltimore reservoirs for 40+ years. It is the only engine specifically made for yaks. It has the smallest footprint, weighs only 15 lbs including the battery and controller, has the best speed and battery life, 2 safety devices in case of emergency, etc etc etc. in my opinion it is the best on the market.

In the beginning, I couldn't understand why it was so expensive until I used one. Now I have 2.

I can give you a list of a bunch of people that love their Torqeedo from here and the Hobie website if you want.

Please pm yakfish and Jeff Little and talk to them. If that is not enough I will give you as many as you want to talk to.

I have not spoken to anyone that didn't love theirs, but I can see how it is a pain if it doesn't work.

Btw, I think you may find a much less expensive solution if you contact Torqeedos tech staff.

Comment

I have't given up yet. I really like the idea and will continue to research. I will reach out to the two you suggested and get their feedback as well.

Thanks!
                  Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I agree its the best option available and I did enjoy it while it worked. I guess 5 years is a pretty good lifespan as much as I used it during those years... I'm really just saying that I found out I didn't really need it. My boys will be old enough to both go out fishing with me before long so I'd rather save the money and put it toward a boat that will carry all of us.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      How many people would you like to contact for their liking of the Torqeedo? It would be ashame to not enjoy all of the benefits of this engine based on 1 post. I was one of the original users of the Torqeedo and I have used electric only boats on the Baltimore reservoirs for 40+ years. It is the only engine specifically made for yaks. It has the smallest footprint, weighs only 15 lbs including the battery and controller, has the best speed and battery life, 2 safety devices in case of emergency, etc etc etc. in my opinion it is the best on the market.

In the beginning, I couldn't understand why it was so expensive until I used one. Now I have 2.

I can give you a list of a bunch of people that love their Torqeedo from here and the Hobie website if you want.

Please pm yakfish and Jeff Little and talk to them. If that is not enough I will give you as many as you want to talk to.

I have not spoken to anyone that didn't love theirs, but I can see how it is a pain if it doesn't work.

Btw, I think you may find a much less expensive solution if you contact Torqeedos tech staff.
                      I'm curious about your reference to finding a much less expensive solution from the tech staff. What would they suggest?

Comment

Yup!
                        Never quite grasped the whole - motor, 2K worth of electronics, etc on a kayak.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                        Next time I want a motor I'm just getting a boat...
                        Captian of the plastic Navy
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Ryan ........ please contact me ....... I may have a less costly way to fix your unit.

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                            I'm curious about your reference to finding a much less expensive solution from the tech staff. What would they suggest?
                            They know any problems that occur. There is 1 guy on the pro team that had a similar problem and it turned out to be dirty contacts. It's worth a try to see what they suggest. It might solve the problem. If it's under warranty they will fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                              Ryan ........ please contact me ....... I may have a less costly way to fix your unit.
                              its done, fried. I already contacted torqeedo directly and they sent me the part number to just buy the motor. I sold my battery already too.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X