Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you torqeedo users out there.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps ........ also, a big advantage of having a Torqeedo on the back of a Hobie is that you can use the motor and the Mirage Drive at the same time giving you the ultimate in power when you need it and a motor built for speed when you don't. And you can pull it up and use the Mirage drive for stealth when fishing. You can also attach the engine steering ti the Hobie steering drum so you control the engine and rudder from the same lever so you turn on a dime under power. This also lets you to still use the rudder when you pull the engine up or pull up the rudder and the engine for grounding or very shallow water giving you the ultimate in steering flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      My biggest problem with building lithium batteries is the risk of fire and explosions. We've all seen the fires from the very small lithium batteries in phones, vapes and hover boards. I can't imagine a fire from one the size needed to power an electric trolling engine. Please make sure you use something that has software that insures balanced charging and discharges. I know Torqeedo has the BLM system and encase each cell in metal containers.
      Here is an article I found on the Torqeedo battery.

http://www.theplastichull.net/catego...yak/whats-new/

Oldbayrunner. Your set up looks nice. Relion batteries are good but the one you have goes for @ $1200 with a charger.
      Your talking LiPo batteries they use in phones etc. The deep cycle are LifePo4 which are much safer. Yes it is around $1299 with a charger but in comparison your paying $599.00 for an 11ah lithium or $899 for a 31ah torqeedo vs $999 for a 75ah lithium deep cycle. A 35ah Deep cycle runs around $549.00 so in essence the deep cycle is a better value price wise.
      Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-24-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Torqeedo update. I got with Torqeedo technical help on the phone. They advise me how to trouble shoot the controller. Clean all connections with WD-40, NOT Dielectric grease.

Ran the unit for 5-solid hours yesterday at Breton Bay, then at Solomon's Island with no issues. Thanks Memory Maker for that advice.

It was a strong tide/current at S.I., so I had to constantly use the unit to hold positon and re-position and it worked like a charm! Got some fat Spot, 1-keeper croaker, and a ton of tiny croakers and 1-tiny weakfish.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
          Your talking LiPo batteries they use in phones etc. The deep cycle are LifePo4 which are much safer. Yes it is around $1299 with a charger but in comparison your paying $599.00 for an 11ah lithium or $899 for a 31ah torqeedo vs $999 for a 75ah lithium deep cycle. A 35ah Deep cycle runs around $549.00 so in essence the deep cycle is a better value price wise.
          But at 29.6v you can run all day and more especially trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
            Torqeedo update. I got with Torqeedo technical help on the phone. They advise me how to trouble shoot the controller. Clean all connections with WD-40, NOT Dielectric grease.

Ran the unit for 5-solid hours yesterday at Breton Bay, then at Solomon's Island with no issues. Thanks Memory Maker for that advice.

It was a strong tide/current at S.I., so I had to constantly use the unit to hold positon and re-position and it worked like a charm! Got some fat Spot, 1-keeper croaker, and a ton of tiny croakers and 1-tiny weakfish.

Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
            2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
            Glad I could help ......... they have a great tech crew.

Comment

Your 320 watts 29.6 v equates to 10ah. With an 11ah battery at low trolling speed you would last all day. My 75ah, pwm & 45# will last at low trolling for 20-30 hrs. The difference will be trolling and running 7-8hrs at lower speed yet have enough juice left to fight strong winds, chop and current. I doubt your torqeedo would run for that period and then have enough to fight a 30 mph head wind, 2-3 ft chop against a strong out going current for 3-4 miles at full open then still have 50% of the battery left. Mac Burner and Plastic boat can verify that. I'm not knocking your torqeedo it's just I've been in some situations when I have been damn glad I have a bigger motor and battery.

Comment

You got lucky ........ only a 2-3 ft chop in a 30 mph headwind ....... don't think I would be out when that was expected. The comparison should be against the larger Torqeedo battery.

Not knocking yours either. I think it's pretty slick.

My only point is that the Torqeedo prices seem to be inline with other quality lithium batteries especially when you include the BLM Software, encased modules, gps computer and being customized for the Torqeedo. I have been in situations like that but not as bad and was really glad for the Torqeedo and the Mirage drive combo. It provides a ton of power when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                  Afiac as an alternative your heading the right direction. Speed really isn't the importance trust me. If your out on the bay or in a strong current and if 21- 30mph winds suddenly kick up coupled with your going against the current your going to really appreciate having a bigger, stronger motor. Very long runtimes can be achieved using the right combination and smart usage. The weight can be a factor if using Sla vs Lithium dependent on the size of the battery. My 75ah Lithium weighs the same as a 35Ah sla @ 25lbs. A 50ah weighs around 15lbs and a 35 ah around 10 or 11lbs. Are you planning on separating the maximizer unit from the head?

My set up;
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22173[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22174[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22175[/ATTACH]
                  Very nice setup! Thanks for sharing. I am definetly using the maximizer. That is why I spent the extra and got the endura max model. For the time being, I am just going to mount the head next to my seat. I would like to come up with a cleaner look so I am open to ideas.
                  Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Only way would be to remove the control unit from the head put it in another box. I did that with a 5 speed unit using a junction box, not sure how with the Max motor though. The great thing with the Gama controller is that it is not only wireless but it also has a manual control box That can be used as a back up. The need for a manual back up for wireless was something I learned through trial and error early on with another unit I used. The wireless control I attach to my pfd which serves two main purpose, I can stand and still have control without wires and if for some reason I turtle or fall overboard I can shut the motor off quickly.

Comment

That wireless control is really a great feature ........ that I love and wish Torqeedo had it

Comment

I used a 40 Endura Max and split the motor and head in the fashion jeepdog plans to do. I mounted the motor to my rudder mount hardware using a home made motor mount and use the rudder peddals for turning.

The electronics are potted to the lower cowl which acts as a big heat sink. While you can pull it apart, it really isn't worth the trouble. With the head mounted in a modified rod holder (using PVC to get the angle needed) it sits next to me and really isn't in the way. I did seal all openings and all wire connections included spade connectors with liquid plastic wire insulation. I also loaded up the pot attached to the handle with dielectric grease. All this was to keep water out in case of a roll over. Hasn't happened in five years but, you never know.
                        Last edited by john from md; 09-15-2017, 01:11 PM.
                        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks John. I have finished my project and am just working out the bugs. So far so good! I took lots of pictures and hope to do a write up on here soon.
                          Jackson Big Tuna
                          Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Great. Can't wait to see it. Maybe I can learn something new.
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              I used a 40 Endura and split the motor and head in the fashion jeepdog plans to do. I mounted the motor to my rudder mount hardware using a home made motor mount and use the rudder peddals for turning.

The electronics are potted to the lower cowl which acts as a big heat sink. While you can pull it apart, it really isn't worth the trouble. With the head mounted in a modified rod holder (using PVC to get the angle needed) it sits next to me and really isn't in the way. I did seal all openings and all wire connections included spade connectors with liquid plastic wire insulation. I also loaded up the pot attached to the handle with dielectric grease. All this was to keep water out in case of a roll over. Hasn't happened in five years but, you never know.
                              If your going to run it for any length of time my suggestion is to add a pwm controller. The run time using a 5 speed is by far less.... been there with that.

Comment

All of the Endura Max motors have a PWM in the circuitry.
                                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                                X