Knowing when to say when

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing when to say when

Yesterday was a good example of knowing when it is time to say "let's go in" the conditions are getting marginal for kayaking...I was fishing one of my favorite fishing spots in St. Mary's County...but one that is exposed to north and south winds...a steady 8-10 knot south wind may be OK under certain tide conditions but as the tide changes so do the conditions...such was the case...incoming tide with a south wind is pretty flat and the water and the wind are going in pretty much the same direction, but as soon as the tide slacks the wind acts on the water and you start to get swells pushed by the wind...as the water starts to move against the wind, you get chop on top of the swells and it becomes a washing machine...I had slipped back into a sheltered cove and was throughly fishing the shoreline, casting to every fishy looking spot...time was slipping away...fish were cooperating so it was a very enjoyable outing- after finally accomplishing the mission of the trip and landing a big fish, I became aware that even inside the sheltered cove I was bouncing up and down with swells...deciding I was pushing my luck I turned my Outback into the stiff 12(+) south wind and headed to the point so I could turn north and cross the 17 foot deep boat channel about a mile or more to the launch...with a side on wave slapping at me for the next 25 minutes, I got nice and wet, but never in danger of flipping the kayak...once I got to the point and turning the kayak towards the launch it was a following sea that was up and down all the way to the launch...slow going against an out-going tide...knowing when it is time to throw in the towel and head in is critical in our sport...I hated to leave fish biting, but it was time to go,,,
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

"Live to Fish another day"

Not worth the risk, I need you healthy for when the SMOG get together is in sync with nice weather, so I can see first hand how you land all these trophy reds!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Ron: Glad you got back safe and sound. My brother drowned in the Chesapeake because a storm came up faster then he had thought. Your a smart man.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Totally agree, we have similar conditions on the Severn. Common sense prevails.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
          Ron: Glad you got back safe and sound. My brother drowned in the Chesapeake because a storm came up faster then he had thought. Your a smart man.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          A couple of years ago I went fishing at Stockton on the Eastern Shore- launched in perfect conditions in shallow bay waters (less than 3 feet deep) and headed out three miles to George's Island that had an 8 foot channel to fish for flounder...out of no where a 40 mph gust hit that never stopped...it took three hours to get back to the landing- I bent the SS rods on my Mirage Drives when the waves would lift up the Outback and drop me in less than three feet of water...that was the most afraid I have been in a kayak that I would not make it...4 foot swells with three feet of chop in shallow water with 40 mph sustained winds...not exactly what anyone ever trains for or would want to be in...once you have pushed the envelope past the safe position into foolhardy, you realize just how stable and seaworthy it is, if you do "everything" right by quartering one direction then quartering the opposite direction to zigzag your way back to the launch without broaching on surf...having many years of owning and operating an offshore power boat fishing the waters off Virginia Beach taught me a lot about seamanship and summer thunderstorms....and it all applies to kayaks...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-26-2017, 10:42 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Glad you made it safely back.... just shows how things can change in an instant
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
            X