Slower/Lower super slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower/Lower super slam

I sat at the ramp this morning in a torrential rainstorm...about an hour...about 8:20 or so it stopped...launched and started perch fishing...2500 Stradic CI4(+) 10# braid, 7' St. Croix Mojo Inshore, light extra fast rod...mini crankbaits with #4 Owner single replacement hooks...caught perch...only kept 11 inch and better perch for supper...so I fished hard today...had planned to have Yak67 with me, but Gary couldn't fish today...don't especially like to fish alone, but fishing is fishing...headed across the channel to some sheltered waters- winds were steady from the South at about 8-10 knots...building a decent chop...high tide was at 10:58...first bigger fish was a striper on my home-made Redfish Magic...right at 20 inches but maybe a 32nd of an eyelash shy...pinched tail said exactly 20 inches, but...so catch and release...headed into a cove and started fishing the sodbanks...using the mini crankbait and light spinning...perch after perch after perch...soon had every stringer clip filled...10 perch that were 11 inches and better...banner perch day...big fat perch loved that firetiger crankbait...caught several 16-19 inch stripers on the mini...then I had a big swirl at it and a miss...flipped it right back into the pocket...reeling it up to the kayak fish hits it at the boat...drag is screaming...and I mean it was in high gear headed for deeper water...rod was bent, drag was humming...after about a fifteen minute fight with five or six good runs I had the Redfish in the net...the mini-crankbait hooked it on the front #4 Owner hook in the upper lip...it was a little after 11 am so it was full high tide...even back in this cove I could tell it was getting really choppy, so I headed the Lady Luck into the wind...I released one of the perch to add the redfish to my stringer...I put the min crankbait up and tossed out a 1/4oz jighead with a limetruse Bass Assassain paddletail and headed back...had not gotten 50 feet when something slammed the rod...a 19 7/8 inch striper...tossed it back and kept heading in...went about a 100 yards and the rod went down again...this time it was a fat 17 1/2 inch speckled trout...big white caps in the channel as I reeled in everything and just hung on getting back to the launch...took a solid hour but finally got in...not a bad day...the 23 inch redfish is my personal best this year...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    I sat at the ramp this morning in a torrential rainstorm...about an hour...about 8:20 or so it stopped...launched and started perch fishing...2500 Stradic CI4(+) 10# braid, 7' St. Croix Mojo Inshore, light extra fast rod...mini crankbaits with #4 Owner single replacement hooks...caught perch...only kept 11 inch and better perch for supper...so I fished hard today...had planned to have Yak67 with me, but Gary couldn't fish today...don't especially like to fish alone, but fishing is fishing...headed across the channel to some sheltered waters- winds were steady from the South at about 8-10 knots...building a decent chop...high tide was at 10:58...first bigger fish was a striper on my home-made Redfish Magic...right at 20 inches but maybe a 32nd of an eyelash shy...pinched tail said exactly 20 inches, but...so catch and release...headed into a cove and started fishing the sodbanks...using the mini crankbait and light spinning...perch after perch after perch...soon had every stringer clip filled...10 perch that were 11 inches and better...banner perch day...big fat perch loved that firetiger crankbait...caught several 16-19 inch stripers on the mini...then I had a big swirl at it and a miss...flipped it right back into the pocket...reeling it up to the kayak fish hits it at the boat...drag is screaming...and I mean it was in high gear headed for deeper water...rod was bent, drag was humming...after about a fifteen minute fight with five or six good runs I had the Redfish in the net...the mini-crankbait hooked it on the front #4 Owner hook in the upper lip...it was a little after 11 am so it was full high tide...even back in this cove I could tell it was getting really choppy, so I headed the Lady Luck into the wind...I released one of the perch to add the redfish to my stringer...I put the min crankbait up and tossed out a 1/4oz jighead with a limetruse Bass Assassain paddletail and headed back...had not gotten 50 feet when something slammed the rod...a 19 7/8 inch striper...tossed it back and kept heading in...went about a 100 yards and the rod went down again...this time it was a fat 17 1/2 inch speckled trout...big white caps in the channel as I reeled in everything and just hung on getting back to the launch...took a solid hour but finally got in...not a bad day...the 23 inch redfish is my personal best this year...
    Sounds like fun! Thanks! I especially enjoy your specificity on what lures and weight you use...
    Need to take your invite to get out with you... I have all the tackle, just not the experience.

Doctor took me off Allupurinol and got me on Urloric! Substantially more expensive... ugh...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I get along fine on Allupurnol- and I eat beans and shellfish- sure fire gout producers. Like I said before PM me and we can set it up...the redfish is really a fat one- a good five to seven pound fish...I'll weigh it before I clean it...got a really nice mess of fish for the table- figure I'll leave them on ice tonight and have them fresh tomorrow as a big fish fry...I ended up releasing two big white perch I intended to eat just because I ran out of stringer room...nice problem to have- This has been an exceptionally good year for me fishing- so many nice fish...

Comment

Sasafrassing doctor appointment this morning. Well done Ron.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thank you Mike for showing me the ropes on mini-crankbaits...I am a slow learner- you were using it a year ago when we perch fished and I was using a spinner...and a update- 26 hours after catching it- I weighed the redfish before cleaning it...5 pounds 4 oz....
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Congratulations on a great catching day.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have not had a "perch lure surprise" this year -- where a legal striper or big pickerel slams it while I am casting for perch. A red would be a real rarity here, unfortunately. So that's out of the question. But I can fully appreciate your surprise and delight to catch a big fish with a little lure. It's a lot of fun. Congratulations, Ron.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Actually Mark, I was fishing for reds with the mini...Big Mike has caught several on his this year- Perch, stripers, Specks and reds all eat it...especially back in the grass and sod banks...I threw it for about two or more hours today- caught several 16-19 inch stripers on it...and dozens of white perch...what I like about it is the size of the perch tend to be bigger on this bait than my #3 Mepps firetiger spinner I use a lot for perching...I only caught a few 9 inch fish today...most were 10 inches and bigger...I love fresh white perch fried up with some Autry's fish fry...tasty stuff...but it is a PIA to clean anything under 10 or 11 inches- I had a rule today- no white perch on the stringer unless they went 11 inches...and I ended up releasing two so I could put other fish on the stringer..

Comment

Well, congratulations nevertheless.

No reds or specks with regularity here so small lures are typically reserved for perch. However, a by-catch of stripers and pickerels was common for me in past years while I fished for perch. No so much this year. Just baby stripers and sadly, no picks. The absence of the latter is a real concern as they disappeared from the Severn's tribs last fall and have yet to show me that they're back.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    ...right at 20 inches but maybe a 32nd of an eyelash shy...
                    Love that description! We've all been there and faced this dilemma.

You know if you pinch their nose and blow into their mouth, you'll get an extra 1/4inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by baitball; 08-18-2017, 01:31 AM.
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Great report, Ron! And congrats on the PB 23 incher!

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the size limit for harvesting reds between 18"-27"? And if so, do you just not keep anything less than 20" for personal preference?
                      Last edited by supfisher01; 08-20-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Well, congratulations nevertheless.

No reds or specks with regularity here so small lures are typically reserved for perch. However, a by-catch of stripers and pickerels was common for me in past years while I fished for perch. No so much this year. Just baby stripers and sadly, no picks. The absence of the latter is a real concern as they disappeared from the Severn's tribs last fall and have yet to show me that they're back.
                        A buddy of mine was jigging for rockfish in the Severn a couple weeks ago, right in front of Sherwood Forest, and hooked up to this nice 21" red. The last time I witnessed a red come out of the Severn was 15 years ago in Whitehall bay.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                          A buddy of mine was jigging for rockfish in the Severn a couple weeks ago, right in front of Sherwood Forest, and hooked up to this nice 21" red. The last time I witnessed a red come out of the Severn was 15 years ago in Whitehall bay.
                          I'm convinced there's an underwater tunnel between Greenbury Point and the Route 50 Bridge that allows the larger stripers and now a redfish to swim safely past the Jonas Green kayak fleet to the upper areas of the Severn!

Congratulations to your friend. That's a rare and impressive catch.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            I'm convinced there's an underwater tunnel between Greenbury Point and the Route 50 Bridge that allows the larger stripers and now a redfish to swim safely past the Jonas Green kayak fleet to the upper areas of the Severn!

Congratulations to your friend. That's a rare and impressive catch.
                            Haha!! When I find it I'll make sure to cut a big hole in it at Jonas for ya. Haha!

I will pass along your kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                              Great report, Ron! And congrats on the PB 23 incher!

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the size limit for harvesting reds between 18"-27"? And if so, do you just not keep anything less than 20" for personal preference?
                              Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the 20 inch fish or the 19 63/64inch fish was a striped bass, not a redfish...I have only caught three keeper Redfish this year- a 19 inch, 22 inch and a 23 inch, with the 23 inch being a really fat fish that weighed 5 lbs 4 oz...had much more luck with Speckled trout than Redfish and caught many keeper Stripers...planning on fishing tomorrow so maybe I will get lucky again...

Comment

Working...
                              X