Mid Severn report -- Wild City 8/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Severn report -- Wild City 8/17

Launched at 5:45. Just caught small perch till around 7:30-ish. Then Sea-gulls came. I started to chase them and was rewarded with at least 20 Rockfish. I use two poles with a tandem rig on each. I caught: 4 double hook-ups and 1 triple hookup. Had a blast.

But, sadly the biggest was 19 3/4. So, all got sent back. But still, what a great day!

I found all the fish in 15-20 feet water. Much different then what I was expecting.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Great report. Do you use a 1/4 and 1/2 oz tandem setup or like a 1/2 and 1oz setup?

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      Great report. Do you use a 1/4 and 1/2 oz tandem setup or like a 1/2 and 1oz setup?
      Used two 1 Oz setup on each rig. So, total of 2 oz per rig.

Should I mix it? So, each rig would have 1 oz and then a 1/2 oz as well??

Best Regards,
      Stan

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
        Launched at 5:45. Just caught small perch till around 7:30-ish. Then Sea-gulls came. I started to chase them and was rewarded with at least 20 Rockfish. I use two poles with a tandem rig on each. I caught: 4 double hook-ups and 1 triple hookup. Had a blast.

But, sadly the biggest was 19 3/4. So, all got sent back. But still, what a great day!

I found all the fish in 15-20 feet water. Much different then what I was expecting.

Best Regards,
        Stan

I need to correct something. The Rockfish seemed to be towards the surface. Several fish I caught with just the tandem rig trailing my yak by about 6 feet (So, the jigs could not have been over 1-2 feet deep). I was shocked they grabbed these (e.g.) I was getting things ready to cast the two rigs out...and then a fish would hit.

But, all fish were caught where the water column was 15-20 feet deep. Trolling speed: 2.5 to 3 mph.

Best Regards,
        Stan

Comment

Wow! Nice work, Stan!! Sounds like you're starting to dial in on'em.

Typically, on a tandem rig, you'll use different jighead weights and different length leaders..... with that being said, if what you're running is working, then don't change it!

Comment

I typically fish Jonas Green but recently wanted to move upstream. Is there public launch you can recommend?
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13
            Have fun,
            Russ

Comment

....oh and when you notice them hitting that high up in the column, you might want to try out a top water popper in that area. I've had great success lately on top water... especially with keepers... and even when fish aren't breaking the surface. I'll troll to get into fish and once I have a couple good hits I'll reel in my trolling rods and start working my popper in the same area. A sharp yet slow and steady jerk, jerk, pause, jerk, jerk, pause and so on.

Comment

Stan,

Twenty stripers, huh?

Pretty soon you'll be answering OUR questions.

You're an excellent student.

Congratulations.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats Stan! That's a stellar day. A triple hookup is very difficult to manage. Glad to hear you're onto some fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                    Used two 1 Oz setup on each rig. So, total of 2 oz per rig.

Should I mix it? So, each rig would have 1 oz and then a 1/2 oz as well??

Best Regards,
                    Stan
                    Stan,

You may want to try a 1/4 oz and at most a 3/8 or 1/2 oz combination on your tandem rigs.

...and congrats on a great day! Double and triple hook-ups are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by baitball; 08-18-2017, 01:28 AM.
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                    X