Fishing During Solar Eclipse 8/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing During Solar Eclipse 8/21

Someone (on that other 'TF' site) posted this question, and it hasn't gotten much buzz or many replies. It's intriguing, so i'll paraphrase and ask it here as well:

Originally posted by russelraven
    The last solar eclipse was back in 1979. What can be expected if you are fishing that day? I'm guessing higher than normal tides?

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html

https://www.space.com/33797-total-so...017-guide.html
    If indeed it was the first occurance since 1979, part of me wants to fish just to have this rare occurance in my memory to tell the grand-kids one day; Especially if you would happen to land a whopper or keeper. FWIW, The gf already got us the 'solar eclipse' glasses
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

The Eclipse is during a "New" Moon phase which normally results in an astronomical high tide referred to as a "Spring Tide."

Spring Tides occur during the New and Full moon periods, which alternate every two weeks.
    The tides on the Quarter moon are referred to as "Neap" tides.

What really affects the tides (Lunar influence-weather related phenomena not with standing) is when the the Full Moon coincides with the lunar perigee, when the orbit of the moon brings it closest to the Earth. These are called "Super Tides."

Comment

A Spring Tide has more variation with the highs being higher and the lows being lower. I would think fishing would be better at that time than during normal tides. But the fish often don't pay attention to my theories.

I am taking a new kayak angler out on the morning of the 21st. I hope the fish sense the additional movement of the water and are encouraged to bite.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

High tide for Monday is 5:24 a.m. at the Naval Academy.
        Current should be strongly outgoing most of the morning.

Last year we were chumming from the big boat during one of the Super Moon outgoing tides. We had some trouble getting the anchor to bite along the bar at Hackett's. The current was ripping like a river.

Comment

So are we fishing or not??
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

The first question that came to my mind is if we'll see a topwater bite!

Comment

Working...
            X