Striper Trolling and Whopper Ploppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper Trolling and Whopper Ploppers

I went out on 8/9/17. It started out as a trolling trip, which later turned into stopping and casting Whopper Ploppers for breaking stripers. It was a lot of fun. I caught about 25 fish with about 5 being of legal size. This was just a fun trip, all were returned. I have gotten a late start this year. This was my first time out in a new kayak.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGTRJxGsU0

Would love to see the video but your link is broken.
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

The Whopper Plopper 190 is my main go to on breaking stripers.

Comment

The link should work now.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
          The Whopper Plopper 190 is my main go to on breaking stripers.
          That is a huge lure. I have used the 130 size for stripers. I have a few of the 190s, which I intend to use in Florida. On the day in the video I used the 90 due to the fish looking to be about schoolie size.

Comment

Nice video...

Question: Where did you get that fine hat? I need sun protection...
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

West Marine. It is a nice hat with very good ventilation.

Comment

Lol ... Your right I meant 130...senior moment... My 190's I use up at the dam for long casting top water for stripers.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                  Lol ... Your right I meant 130...senior moment... My 190's I use up at the dam for long casting top water for stripers.
                  River2Sea has come out with a 110 size, which I have not yet seen. That should also be a good size for the bay.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      River2Sea has come out with a 110 size, which I have not yet seen. That should also be a good size for the bay.
                      BPS has also release a 'double plopper' but be forewarned, the fins are not molded with the body, so be sure to add some strengthening superglue or adhesive epoxy, i've broken 2 thus far. Headed to BPS this weekend to try and exchange.
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice, two striper on one plopper! This is an awesome lure, I've caught tons of green bass on it, but unfortunately have not had the chance to use for the striped ones!
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

the plopper 90 is also my go-to for Snakehead. very versatile lure, i'll have to research the 110 size coming soon.
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I've been using them for top water trolling too. There aren't many baits that allow you to do it effectively. It's good in shallows which we're starting to see the pattern develop now.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

I had that thought also. The lure works so easily on the surface. I do swap out the hooks for 3X strong. The original hardware is very light weight, maybe for bass but weak for stripers. So maybe the lures, as modified, I am using are a little heavier. I use one size larger treble on the tail and a red treble of the same size on the belly. Not that this is the best combination. It is just one that I have gained confidence. I also upgrade the split rings to power rings. The lure still seems to work nicely on the surface. Trolling the WP would ease the problem of trying to wonder where the fish have gone when they go down. It may at least help find them.

I have recently ordered a couple 110s from BPS. Our store only carries the 90 and the 130.

Comment

Working...
                              X