Low Tide Woes in Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Tide Woes in Weems

In keeping with a recent Snaggedline theme, I also took a minimalist kayak trip today. I went to Weems Creek in Annapolis which I believe is a great site for a basic kayak outing.

Here is my boat ready for launching:

P1010856.jpg

No pedals, no fish finder, no trolling rigs and no cart needed. Just a very light boat that I dropped to the water's edge from my van with two spinning rods and single Plano box of perch lures.

My buddy, John Rentch, had just launched when I arrived:

P1010855.jpg

Notice how calm the water was. Later John Veil joined us.

Here’s the view toward the bridges. The water was surprisingly clean given our recent rains.

P1010854.jpg P1010857.jpg

We launched to falling tide at 0700 that was supposed to bottom out at 0800. It was definitely low as this photo will attest from the water stains on the downed wood.

P1010860.jpg

John Rentch and I headed under the bridges, he took the south side of the creek and I took the north side. When John Veil arrived later he headed toward the Severn.

As I headed under the first bridge, I noticed a sign I had never seen before:

P1010859.jpg

Seriously, I have caught a lot of fish over the years very close to this sign. I’m a lawbreaker! I’m just glad I’m retired and my days of taking polygraph tests are over!

John Rentch and I noticed something else immediately. Strikes were numerous, but hookups were not. It was as if the perch were teasing us. The water was so clear that many times I saw a fish dart toward my lure, strike it with its nose, and then in flash, disappear. I managed only 4 baby stripers and 4 small perch out of dozens of strikes.

I downsized lures and that helped somewhat. See here:

P1010862.jpg

I got into a school of perch in the back areas of the creek. The small paddletail worked. But the perch were small. Most of mine were 6 to 7 inches.

We decided to head to the big river where the perch have been willing and larger in recent weeks. When we got to the mouth of the creek, we saw John Veil to our north in the distance. He had been trolling the river and fishing one of the tributaries for perch. John Rentch turned right and started trolling south in the river. I paddled directly across to the far shoreline to find larger perch.

Areas like this have been prime perch spots in recent weeks:

P1010865.jpg

Again, note the low tide as seen by the stains on the riprap. For whatever reason, the incoming tide was very slow moving today.

However, the perch did not disappoint me. I removed my small paddletail to give them something larger to chase. It worked and I got into a school of 10 inchers. Here are a couple:

P1010863.jpg P1010864.jpg

I had good pullage today in numbers but nothing large. My stripers were just dinks that I caught while casting for perch. John Rentch did much better than me in the striper department. And I got no perch over 10 inches whereas a couple of weeks ago I got 11 and 12 inchers in the same areas.

Given a preference, I would much rather fish a high falling tide than a low rise rising one. It just seems that I catch larger fish when the former condition exists. But like most of us, I get out when I can regardless of the tide.

So ended my minimalist trip. Nothing extraordinary. Certainly, no bucket-mouth bass yanked from lily pads like willf650. But no broken rods and no bloody hook extractions either! I’m especially grateful for that. But mostly, I am glad for a very enjoyable morning paddle where a few fish happened to get into my way. I just wish the tide had been a little higher!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

The bite this morning was unremarkable. Nevertheless it was quite pleasant to be out there paddling on a calm river. I had a better perch bite in another Severn creek but still caught a few in Weems.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

What a beautiful day to be on Weems. Almost dead calm!

That downed wood shown in photo five was nearly completely submerged when I fished there last week. it is one of my "Old Reliable" spots.

I got a lot of short strikes last week, mostly from 4-6" fish. I ended up trimming about an inch of of one of the spinner jigs. It didn't help much.

I, too, did a minimalist trip today. It was so minimalist that I left the canoe home and fished a 5 acre pond from the shore. LOL
      Last edited by bignose; 08-14-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Nice report Mark. Those feisty little WP have saved a many outing this year. What a beautiful day to be out and about. Great pics too.

I made need to take a 12-step program to go 'minimalist" according to Big Mike.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Excellent report Mark. Glad you were able to find some. Nothing bad about catching perch on a beautiful day.

Keith

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
          Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks for the pics... I enjoy fishing the Severn. I never been out there with the water that calm. Looks like a lake.
            2017 Hobie Outback - Camo
            2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Seems like it was a relaxing, enjoyable day to be out on the water - congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Mark: Great pictures and thanks for posting. I think many of us, go kayaking and have fishing interrupt the process. I love being out on my boat.

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

thank you for the report Mark!

Living vicariously through yours and this forum's report...

hopefully, i'll be out next week...
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                  X