Custom cut track systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad all has worked well for you.

Anything that helps you get your yak to and from the water leads to more outings and that's a good thing.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've been debating installing my BLG for the reasons you listed above.

The P-I-T-A conundrum of rolling/lifting the PA to get the HD Cart or 2-30 into the scupper holes make me re-think the BLG every time.

Thank you for reporting back. I believe BLG has a PA specific mounting kit to strengthen the attachment, and i've re-slated this onto my winter "downtime" mods on the to-do list
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Ill be honest and say was wasnt very impressed with my BLG mounts. Kinda actually pissed off to see all the sharp edges and the type of material used as a reinforcment for the BLG. I can see with a few years of rugged use with all the weigh of my gear on the sharp edges of the backing plate it will eventually break the top side gunnel walls of the pro angler. Before installing i ground 3/16 x 3/16 45 degree chamfers along the mating edge and i also threw the mild steel away and made mine from stainless because you know it will rust where its at. I also added 2 more mounting points with round stock aluminum for more weight distribution. Now i feel more confident about the setup and the amount of weight the 3/16 thick plastic hull can handle in the 2 4" long by 3/4" wide spots, plus 2 more 1.5inch spots i have added. Still dont like the rigidity of the wheels. There a bit Noisy.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for responding. Can you provide pics of the amendments you made? I was reading over at the Hobie forums about all the issues the PA 14 users were having. I believe that BLG has introduced a wider/longer metal bracket to help with the strain the BLG places at the install plate screws, but BLG owners have to fork over some additional dough for them. Since my Native U12 has no scuppers, I don't see myself ever yaking in rough waters and/or getting it the metal bracket underneath the thwarts wet. Also, I'll only be yaking in fresh water (Liberty Reservior) at least until I get another yak and/or get tired of LR and move on (not too likely since LR is huge and I live 10 minutes from it).

Still, I'd be very interested in what amendments you did to the BLG hardware to increase its stability/rigidity.

For the BLG owners out there, I've noted some issues with removing and re-inserting the wheel axles. I'd like to add some lubricant to it to help it slide in and out easier. Does anyone have any suggestions?

smithmal

ps - I agree, the wheel rotation was not as smooth as I would like and were noisy.
          smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
          Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

One of my trax 2-30 wheels no longer holds air for length of period of time... so just another additional reason to get around to installing the BLG...

I bought mine second hand from another member on here, and either he had already made the modifications you describe, or they came from BLG accordingly, they are definitly 45* chamfered. I think the "PA" kit is an additional (minimal) cost, and I had thought if you ordered directly and specified you had a PA they included it with no charge, but that may have only been when the big issue with the camo boat construction was taking place.

thank god for ivory dune

Comment

The 45 degree chamfer needs to be down the length of the part not on the ends. The ends dont matter. The kits i have seen that are chamfered are chamfered only on the ends. I have also seen they they supplied 1/2" round stock 4" long that has also been tapped like the flat bar
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I stand corrected, the PA LG Pro Kit is only an extended bar so the width between the tires is greater, i.e. for the larger/wider PA hull

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I had to look up Boondox Landing Gear. I didn't know what it was.

This is the cart I use:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22127[/ATTACH]

Lightweight, installs easily on the boat on land and while it is floating and requires no hardware to mount it to the boat.

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

Also less expensive than the Boondox.

However, if you already have the Boondox, you might want to visit the Native User's Group before you install it: http://nativeownersgroup.com/

I scanned through it and there was a discussion regarding issues surrounding the installation of Boondox and the long-term durability of the plastic under the mounts to sustain the stresses of the cart.

Good luck,
                  Mark,

Thanks for mentioning this last year. The Boonedox has worked well with my Native, but I don't think it will work well when using a canoe with thin gunnels (like the Radisson Canoe I know have). I'm going to go the Trailtreker route for my canoe (Maximus version; http://www.paddlelogic.com/store/p5/...AYAK_CART.html). With the Radisson, I've now got plenty of stowing space and this is super lightweight which is nice.

smithmal
                  smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                  Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
                  X