Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom cut track systems

Quote Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
    Mark, what thread did you see posted on Nativeowners that discussed this? [/I]

smithmal
    Title of thread: Boondox Landing Gear Issue 30 May 2017

Also, my Trailtreker cart will indeed fold for storage. However, I choose not to do that. I don't take any carts with me on the water. I also leave my Revo scupper cart, easily carried onboard, in my van when I am on the water.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Thanks for the info on the thread. You can find the link here.

I called Boonedox to speak with them about the best way to attach a Boonedox Landing Gear to a Native Ultimate. What they suggested is not using a track system at all. Boonedox is moving away from using Groove Track (or any track system) to installing the landing gear b/c track systems are not built or attached to the yak strong enough to deal with the type of weight/stress that the Boonedox knuckles are holding up. Over time, when moving the yak (especially for heavier boats that are all tricked out) you could see deformation of the plastic that the knuckles are attached to.

They suggested what others have suggested which is underneath the yak's plastic, cut out block of Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) plastic (minimum 1/2" thick; link here) to the shape of the area that the gear track is being installed (in my case it would be the size of the two triangular thwarts directly behind the seat). Boonedox indicated that this type of material can easily be cut using a band saw or a jig saw. You should then drill through the boat and the UHMW plastic. Then, attach the landing gear "knuckles" by using a bolt that goes all the way through the knuckles, yak, underneath UHMW plastic and underneath Boonedox backing plates and you should have a strong platform for the Boonedox Landing Gear to attach to without worrying about deformation of the yak's plastic material.

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 08-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

Quote Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
    Thanks for the info on the thread. You can find the link here.

I called Boonedox to speak with them about the best way to attach a Boonedox Landing Gear to a Native Ultimate. What they suggested is not using a track system at all. Boonedox is moving away from using Groove Track (or any track system) to installing the landing gear b/c track systems are not built or attached to the yak strong enough to deal with the type of weight/stress that the Boonedox knuckles are holding up. Over time, when moving the yak (especially for heavier boats that are all tricked out) you could see deformation of the plastic that the knuckles are attached to.

They suggested what others have suggested which is underneath the yak's plastic, cut out block of Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) plastic (minimum 1/2" thick; link here) to the shape of the area that the gear track is being installed (in my case it would be the size of the two triangular thwarts directly behind the seat). Boonedox indicated that this type of material can easily be cut using a band saw or a jig saw. You should then drill through the boat and the UHMW plastic. Then, attach the landing gear "knuckles" by using a bolt that goes all the way through the knuckles, yak, underneath UHMW plastic and underneath Boonedox backing plates and you should have a strong platform for the Boonedox Landing Gear to attach to without worrying about deformation of the yak's plastic material.

smithmal
    Seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me given other cart alternatives. But I have an aversion to cutting my boats and adding weight to them. The important thing is if the Boondox aids the transport of your boat to your liking so that you use it often. I hope it does!
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Mark,

I agree. Hopefully the pro's of the Boonedox Landing Gear outweigh the cons of the install/weight issues. I will report back with pics once I have them installed. Maybe I'll be able to meet up with you on the water to show you them in action.

smithmal
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle