Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom cut track systems

Default Installing a Boonedox Landing Gear System using a custom cut track system

Has anyone ever bought a track system for their yak and cut it down to a custom size to fit your needs? If so, what track system did you purchase and how did you cut it?

I'd like to put track on the back of my Native Watercraft Ultimate 12, but I'm not sure if I can purchase a straight Groove track and cut it down to my needs properly.

Thanks,

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 10-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

I cut gt175 geartrac from yakattack no problem. I used my metal cutting bandsaw. Angle grinder would be the next best option. If you can't get your hands on either of those, a metal hacksaw should work fine.

I have had the gt175 mounted on my outback for almost 3 years with no issues using just the included thread forming screws (no backing plate).
    2015 Hobie Outback

I put yak attack track on my Native Ultimate 14.5. My boat is of an age before gear track existed. I just bought the length I needed and put it in. It has mounting holes every 2" so it could easily be cut down.

I would buy the Yak Attack stuff before the native for a couple reasons.
    1. It is lower profile then the Native track so if you aren't installing it in a recess it will stick up less.
    2. It can be purchased pre-cut in multiple lengths so it can probably say you from the need to cut it.
    3. It is slightly concave in the center so if the spot you are mounting it isn't perfectly flat it still sit on the surface with no gaps.
    3. It has mounting hole every 2" so it can be cut down easily if needed with out the need to drill any new mounting holes.
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2014 Hobie ProAngler 12
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Quote Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
    Has anyone ever bought a track system for their yak and cut it down to a custom size to fit your needs? If so, what track system did you purchase and how did you cut it?

I'd like to put track on the back of my Native Watercraft Ultimate 12, but I'm not sure if I can purchase a straight Groove track and cut it down to my needs properly.

Thanks,

smithmal
    I have not cut track. However, it's readily available in a variety of lengths. I've seen it as short as 4 inches. Mostly, I'm curious where you want to install it and what you want to attach to it.

If it's to attach rod holders, there is ample solid space on the triangular thwarts immediately behind the seat:

P1010542.jpg

That space will accept a Scotty Base Mount or other brands of mounts. Those base mounts would provide a solid platform for rods if that's what you intend to carry behind your seat. Or you can avoid cutting your boat altogether and mount the rods on a milk crate as I have done via Scotty mounts.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Mark,

I have a boonedox landing gear I'd like to install on the yak. As I see it, I have three install options:

1. Install using the mounting brackets. Would rather not do this because if I sell the yak or get another one in the future I'd like the option of swapping the landing gear between the two yaks
    2. Install a track system to the corner areas behind the seat (just like your pics suggest). This is how it is installed with other Native yaks that have tracks along the back sides of the yak. There's a video on YT showing how the landing gear brackets are installed into a groove track. The other benefit is if I'm not using the landing gear on this yak in the future, the track would allow me to add whatever accessories I wanted.
    3. Devise some system of installing the landing gear without cutting holes into the yak. I rumminated on this option but have yet to come up with a way to install the landing gear firmly without going to option 1 or 2. Like you, if I can come up with an option that doesn't involve drilling holes in my yak, that is preferable.

If I go with option 2, I'm thinking I'll need two 4" or 6" pieces back there but groove track doesn't seem to sell them at that length. Like wilf650 said, I could go with a different track system but then I'd have multiple systems on the yak which would be weird if I where to sell it in the future.

Do people think I could cut a groove track section with a metal blade on my drop saw or use a metal cut off blade on my grinder and get a nice cut or have other suggestions?

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 08-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.

I had to look up Boondox Landing Gear. I didn't know what it was.

This is the cart I use:

AE.jpg

Lightweight, installs easily on the boat on land and while it is floating and requires no hardware to mount it to the boat.

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

Also less expensive than the Boondox.

However, if you already have the Boondox, you might want to visit the Native User's Group before you install it: http://nativeownersgroup.com/

I scanned through it and there was a discussion regarding issues surrounding the installation of Boondox and the long-term durability of the plastic under the mounts to sustain the stresses of the cart.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Mark; 08-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Mark

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The Ultimate 12 is a light kayak. Although the Boonedox Landing Gear would probably work on that boat, I have not seen other Ultimate 12 owners going to those extreme measures (overkill). Other styles of carts, like the one that Mark shows, and the C-Tug that I use for a boat of similar size, work quite well and are less expensive. They quickly attach to your kayak without any hole drilling.

If you are determined to add gear tracks to the rear of your Ultimate, I have two brand new pieces of Native 12" gear track. If that is a size you want, we can discuss a price via pmail. If you do add gear tracks to an Ultimate, you would want to make sure you use backing plates and bolt the tracks in place rather than screwing them.

At the risk of sounding preachy, you purchased a simple, lightweight kayak. It will get you on the water and provide hours of dependable and enjoyable use. Adding a heavy and expensive accessory that is not really needed goes counter to the concept of a quick and easy fishing platform. The Landing Gear is being used by owners of much heavier kayaks. One downside of the Landing Gear is that it is always there on the back of your kayak. It adds weight, takes up space, and may restrict your ability to mount other items behind your seat (e.g., additional rod holders.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I had to look up Boondox Landing Gear. I didn't know what it was.

This is the cart I use:

AE.jpg

Lightweight, installs easily on the boat on land and while it is floating and requires no hardware to mount it to the boat.

http://www.paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

Also less expensive than the Boondox.

However, if you already have the Boondox, you might want to visit the Native User's Group before you install it: http://nativeownersgroup.com/

I scanned through it and there was a discussion regarding issues surrounding the installation of Boondox and the long-term durability of the plastic under the mounts to sustain the stresses of the cart.

Good luck,
    I use a c-tug and although it works, i find it a major pain to get on the kayak when returning to the ramp. This is the first time I have seen this type of a system. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the post Mark......I think I will order one and give it a try!

Mark
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdawg View Post
    I use a c-tug and although it works, i find it a major pain to get on the kayak when returning to the ramp. This is the first time I have seen this type of a system. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the post Mark......I think I will order one and give it a try!

Mark
    There are trade-offs. With a C-Tug you can place the cart in the center of the hull, albeit with some difficulty. But when you do, the cart bears most of the weight of the kayak making it quite easy for you to roll. The Trailtreker attaches quite simply while the kayak is floating just as the video on the website shows. I enjoy that feature greatly. However, once attached, the wheels will likely align closer to the back of the kayak than they would on your C-Tug. That means you'll bear more weight of the kayak with the Trailtreker than you would with the C-Tug. Your Jackson boats are not light. Make sure you take that into account.
    Mark

Available on Amazon.com

I agree, the thought of owning a relatively light kayak only to add weight onto it seems counter intuitive. I actually thought very strongly about the cart that Mark spoke of and have even seen him use it in action. The newer version of Mark's cart is able to be broken down and stowed in your yak so you don't need to leave it on the beach and or walk back to your car to store it.

So why did I go this route? Mainly for the boonedox's ability to be lowered and raised while in the water. This video gives a pretty good description of how that is done (the OP really goes into the virtues of the Boonedox @ the 2:37 mark).

I was really impressed with how the landing gear can be actually raised and lowered while still in the water as you were leaving or heading back to shore. This means:

a. When heading out: no scratching of the hull when launching since you will not need to remove your cart before dragging the yak from the shore into shallow water (since the cart stays deployed until after you reach the appropriate floating depth and it can then be raised) and
    b. When returning: no scratching of the hull when landing since you will not need to drag your yak out of the water onto shore to put on a cart (since your cart has already been lowered while still floating in the water).

Since the Boonedox wheels are raised along the outside side of the yak, the landing gear takes up very little room inside your yak so you can have room for whatever essentials you need (unlike the cart mentioned above that can be broken down and stowed in your yak which would take some room in the stern/bow storage.

In terms of weight, weight would be the biggest issue for me when raising or lowering the yak onto my roof. The Boonedox is designed so the wheels and accompanying legs can easily be removed to reduce weight. If you were putting the Boondox on a track then the whole assembly could easily be removed or added on when necessary. Boondox also sells different tires so you can swap your tires and legs if you have a long hike from beach access.

However, cost with this style of cart is a big issue. $250 for a cart is no small potatoes. I was able to get one for $120 on CL which further enticed me with getting the landing gear.

In terms of structural support due to the lightweight plastic structure of the Ultimate 12. I can see that being a problem if not properly supported.

Mark, what thread did you see posted on Nativeowners that discussed this? I inquired about the Boonedox on the this forum (which I'm a member) but got no reply. I get the feeling that that forum is not heavily populated. I did see this thread discussing putting a Boonedox on a Ultimate FX 15 in which the OP indicated "There is absolutely no stress on the thawat from using the landing gear."

Finally, I agree that it is a little overkill for a yak as light as the Native Ultimate 12 however, I looked at it like an investment that I could use with other yaks (especially heavier ones) if/when I upgrade since this system is extremely rugged. Thanks for everyone's replies.

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 08-14-2017 at 12:20 PM.