Fishing Line around Bay Bridge Pilings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Line around Bay Bridge Pilings

Just had my first adventure out to the bay bridge and it was fun. Hooked up to four larger fish but broke the leader when they rubbed the piling.
    What are you guys using for line around the bridge pilings. Its hard to keep those fish on the pilings in the kayak.

I only use braid out there. My only issues have been when they've skedaddled into a hole in the rocks around the pilings. Good luck.

Comment

Were you live lining or jigging?
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
        Were you live lining or jigging?
        Jigging
        Last edited by geoffbern; 08-11-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

We use 17 lb. mono for our running line on the charter boat.
          I prefer 10-15 lb. braid for my own fishing (Sufix neon orange braid), but for newbies, the mono is easier (and less expensive) to untangle. I run 3 rods with bright orange line, and 3 rods with fluorescent green line which also aids in untangling the lines.

Our standard leader on the charter boat for fishing the pilings is 30 lb. test mono. In open water, like Hackett's or Podickory, we will lighten up to 20 lb. test.
          We use a 2-3 foot leader, enough to grab from the deck.
          The fish are not leader shy.
          Last edited by bignose; 08-11-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

15lb. braid with 20lb. fluorocarbon leader

Comment

I was using 12 lb mono leader and lost 4 easy 24"+ today....gonna change to somethings heavier for jigging

Comment

Because you are in a yak, you will not be able to apply as much force as we can from the big boat. Our boat isn't gonna get pulled by the fish.
                I like being able to drag those bigger fish away from the rough surfaces of the pilings and rockpiles.

If your leader is rubbing the pilings, that 12 lb. test quickly becomes a lot less, as you found out. Plus the fish themselves have an abrasive skin and leaders scraping against the dorsal fin will weaken the line as well. Fluorocarbon is supposed to be more abrasion resistant than mono.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                  Because you are in a yak, you will not be able to apply as much force as we can from the big boat. Our boat isn't gonna get pulled by the fish.
                  I like being able to drag those bigger fish away from the rough surfaces of the pilings and rockpiles.

If your leader is rubbing the pilings, that 12 lb. test quickly becomes a lot less, as you found out. Plus the fish themselves have an abrasive skin and leaders scraping against the dorsal fin will weaken the line as well. Fluorocarbon is supposed to be more abrasion resistant than mono.
                  My fault the leader was flourocarbon 12lb. Moving forward would you recommend a 30-40lb flourcarbon leader or just straight braid? Im currently spooled with 40lb braid
                  THanks so all the input

Comment

On the charter we place a coastal snap swivel on the end of the mono running line, and tie a loop in the end of the leader using a surgeon's knot. The swivel is snapped thru the loop. We also run a plastic slide with a snap above the swivel, so we can add or subtract weight depending on the current and depth.

This allows us to "quick change" leaders out when we have a breakoff or a deeply hooked fish, where we just cut the leader rather than try to remove the hook. I'll have about a dozen pre-made leaders wrapped around a swimming pool noodle for rapid replacement.

We don't cast far with this rig (they are pretty awkward to cast-you kinda have to sling them, not a good idea on a crowded deck), we use bait and drop the baited hook along side of the pilings with these.
                    I am trying to "idiot proof" things and fish as efficiently as possible, realizing that most of our clients are not experienced fishermen.

For my personal rigging, I tie a surgeon's loop in the end of my braid, and in the leader and loop them together. Some guys on the site tie the braid directly to their jigs, but I prefer a leader to grab onto rather than braid as it is less likely to cut your hands up and doesn't fray. And this casts fairly well. It would work for jigs, and lures as well.

30 lb. for the leaders is pretty much strong enough, 40 lb. would be over kill. We troll in trophy season using 50 lb. leaders and braid, but this isn't needed.
                    We hook several fish in the 36-40 inch range off of the pilings every summer, and very seldom have any problems with 30 lb. leaders. Once you clear the pilings there isn't much for the fish to break you off on.
                    Away from the pilings 20 lb. is fine.

Let me recommend Shawn Kimbro's excellent manual "Chesapeake Light Tackle."
                    It is the definitive guide to fishing jigs around the bridge.
                    Last edited by bignose; 08-11-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffbern View Post
                      Jigging
                      i use 20lb fluoro leader when jigging the bridge. If im livelining ill bump it up to 30lb fluoro in case the line gets wrapped around the pilings.
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Let me recommend Shawn Kimbro's excellent manual "Chesapeake Light Tackle."
                        It is the definitive guide to fishing jigs around the bridge.
                        any way to get one's hands on a copy for a not unreasonable price? amazon wants 10 dollars for the kindle version (which i wouldn't want) but 100 for the paperback.
                        -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
                          any way to get one's hands on a copy for a not unreasonable price? amazon wants 10 dollars for the kindle version (which i wouldn't want) but 100 for the paperback.
                          Most of the regional tackle shops carry that book. You can also type "Chesapeake Light Tackle" into Google and find several online vendors.

For what it is worth, there are several other local authors who have written fishing books with a regional emphasis -- Len Rudow, Alan Battista, Joe Bruce, Mark Bange, and John Veil. These books are available online and often at the winter fishing flea markets.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

contact Shawn at Chesapeake Light Tackle. (www.chesapeakelighttackle.com)
                            He sells his book directly via PayPal for $30.00 and it's worth every penny.

Angler's on Route 50 may have copies as might Tochterman's up in Baltimore. Call to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              Most of the regional tackle shops carry that book. You can also type "Chesapeake Light Tackle" into Google and find several online vendors.

For what it is worth, there are several other local authors who have written fishing books with a regional emphasis -- Len Rudow, Alan Battista, Joe Bruce, Mark Bange, and John Veil. These books are available online and often at the winter fishing flea markets.
                              contact Shawn at Chesapeake Light Tackle. (www.chesapeakelighttackle.com)
                              He sells his book directly via PayPal for $30.00 and it's worth every penny.

Angler's on Route 50 may have copies as might Tochterman's up in Baltimore. Call to find out.
                              thank you both!
                              -Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X