Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to chuck my trebbe hooks. What is the best single hook to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to chuck my trebbe hooks. What is the best single hook to use??

I am going to get rid of all my treble hooks on my 1/4 oz spoons. Can you guys give me any recommendations for any single hooks to use??

Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
    I am going to get rid of all my treble hooks on my 1/4 oz spoons. Can you guys give me any recommendations for any single hooks to use??

Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    You'll need in-line hooks.

Check Owner: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/owner-t...ent-hooks.aspx

Split ring pliers are helpful: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/...%20PLIERS.aspx

This chart is helpful:

Capture Hook.jpg

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm using owner #2s for my 1/4 spoons. I'm using their #1s for the bigger 3/8 & 1/2 spoons. I've lost some fish but they are much easier to catch and release.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

IMO#1. Owner Single inline #2. VMC #3. Mustad. The chart Mark provided should give you a good indication of swap out sizes. I will mention your hook ups will be more difficult and less frequent until you learn how to be proficient with them. Another way to use trebles is to bend the barbs down or file them off. You'll get a few less that stay on but they are much easier to remove.

Comment

Mark and PigPen: Thanks so much. I'll put in that order today.

Best Regards,
          Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            IMO#1. Owner Single inline #2. VMC #3. Mustad. The chart Mark provided should give you a good indication of swap out sizes. I will mention your hook ups will be more difficult and less frequent until you learn how to be proficient with them. Another way to use trebles is to bend the barbs down or file them off. You'll get a few less that stay on but they are much easier to remove.
            That's an interesting idea. I will have to try debarbing the treble some time.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
              [snip .....] I will mention your hook ups will be more difficult and less frequent until you learn how to be proficient with them. [..... Snip]
              So, what is the secret for being proficient with them???

Thanks,
              Stan

Comment

I have not noticed any difference hooking fish with single hook over trebles...rod bends, fish on...still get hooks pulled for lightly hooked fish just like you do with trebles...what I find so much better is NOT hooking me when landing fish...and on smaller lures the tiny trebles are junk...easily bent, easily broken...not so with the smaller Owner replacement singles...even the number 4 hooks are stought...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Stan,

Surely in my angling life I have hooked more fish with single hooks. I notice no difference in hookups with my modified lures save one and I have used identical lures with and without trebles. The difference I noticed is that a pickerel is harder to catch on trebles than on lures with single hooks. Pickerels routinely spit treble hooked topwater lures back at me. They'll jump from the water and the next thing I know the lure is floating nearby the area where the fish jumped. That doesn't happen nearly as often with single hooks. I think the trebles actually inhibit pickerel hookups.

Lastly, regarding proficiency, especially for topwater, a slow action rod is often better than a fast action rod -- single hook or treble. The reason for that is that you need to wait for the fish to firmly mouth the lure before you strike. A slow action rod is forgiving when your enthusiasm to strike exceeds your patience to wait. A soft rod often allows the fish to hook itself. Otherwise, if you react immediately and try to set the hook on first contact, you may pull the lure right out of the fish's mouth.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    Stan,

Surely in my angling life I have hooked more fish with single hooks. I notice no difference in hookups with my modified lures save one and I have used identical lures with and without trebles. The difference I noticed is that a pickerel is harder to catch on trebles than on lures with single hooks. Pickerels routinely spit treble hooked topwater lures back at me. They'll jump from the water and the next thing I know the lure is floating nearby the area where the fish jumped. That doesn't happen nearly as often with single hooks. I think the trebles actually inhibit pickerel hookups.

Lastly, regarding proficiency, especially for topwater, a slow action rod is often better than a fast action rod -- single hook or treble. The reason for that is that you need to wait for the fish to firmly mouth the lure before you strike. A slow action rod is forgiving when your enthusiasm to strike exceeds your patience to wait. A soft rod often allows the fish to hook itself. Otherwise, if you react immediately and try to set the hook on first contact, you may pull the lure right out of the fish's mouth.
                    That's interesting about the slow action rod...
                    I have fast action rods but my reaction is slow which makes it slow action no matter how fast the rod is and many times slow action day...
                    Sounds like this theory applies to more than fishing as I think about it...
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Other than the fishing line and hook...the direct connection to the fish is the rod...IMHO the most important component, more than the reel...too much is made about the super high quality reel vs the rod...the technology of components used in the composition and manufacturing of the rod is almost like computers...changing so rapidity it is hard to keep up with...but the entire post was about single replacement hooks- easy for me- OWNER...best replacement hook...I never go wrong with Owners...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                      X