Weems Creek 8/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek 8/10

My fishing has been rather limited due to family reasons this summer.

I spent nearly 4 hours on Weems today.
    The water was fairly stained with perhaps 1 foot of visibility. The tide was going out during the time I was fishing.

I fished the area between and above the bridges. The further upstream I went, the cloudier the water was.
    I threw mostly spinner jigs and a small Rat-L-Trap type of lure.

The fishing was decidedy slow, perhaps a dozen perch in 4 hours.
    I fished well today, my concentration was better then it has been for several weeks.
    The weather cooperated, for once, but the fish didn't.

I blame the full moon, and whatever other excuses seem apropos.
    I found most of the fish in about 6 feet of water and they were deep. I was most successful fishing parallel to the shore instead of of my usual targeting specific cover.
    I only caught one fish, albeit the biggest one, in the lay down wood, and tossing under the docks was not very productive, either.

Oh well, it happens!
    Last edited by bignose; 08-10-2017, 06:28 PM.

Originally posted by bignose View Post
    My fishing has been rather limited due to family reasons this summer.

I spent nearly 4 hours on Weems today.
    The water was fairly stained with perhaps 1 foot of visibility. The tide was going out during the time I was fishing.

I fished the area between and above the bridges. The further upstream I went, the cloudier the water was.
    I threw mostly spinner jigs and a small Rat-L-Trap type of lure.

The fishing was decidedy slow, perhaps a dozen perch in 4 hours.
    I fished well today, my concentration was better then it has been for several weeks.
    The weather cooperated, for once, but the fish didn't.

I blame the full moon, and whatever other excuses seem apropos.
    I found most of the fish in about 6 feet of water and they were deep.
    I only caught one fish, albeit the biggest one, in the lay down wood, and under the docks was not very productive.

Oh well, it happens!

I launched around 6:00 AM in the mid-Severn. Fished from 6-11. Not even a single rockfish bite. So, I gave that up and started to just fish for perch. I caught 20+ perch between 8-11 AM. But, had a real hard time landing them. I lost at least half of the fish. I think it was due to my treble hooks on the spoons. What I landed, nothing over 8 inches long. I let them all go.

When I returned, they said that the fishing has been slow and the crabbing was real slow. But, then right after me a guy came in with a bushel of crabs. Go figure.

Last three times out for me: no rockfish. I'm glad I followed the forums advice and started to concentrate on perch more. That was a blast.

Hopefully, next week, the rockfish will return. But, any day on the water is a good day.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thank you for the report, Stu.

I haven't been to Weems for weeks. I hope to change that this coming week.

I thought perching in the big river was exceptional in July. Riprap and shade were a winning combination. Perhaps the runoff from our abnormal rains has adversely impacted the creek. Who knows? There are factors we understand about about fishing...structure, current, temperature, etc. But I'm convinced there are many more factors that control our catch that we know nothing about.
      Last edited by Mark; 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Riprap and shade were a winning combination.
        Mark: That is what I found as well. I was getting a perch every two casts when following this advice. Thanks again!

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
        X