HD video Mount on a Wilderness Systems Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD video Mount on a Wilderness Systems Yak

I just picked up a Vivitar DVR786HD. It is very similar to a GoPro and looked at Google results for mounting on a Yak. What is your mounting if choice? I want it to look nice but not spend a bundle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I use GoPro cameras, so as this may apply, you can possibly take the advice. I used to use Ram Mounts to a extended type of selfie pole called an Xshot. You can see the older mounts on my YouTube videos, Kayak Fishing with Dogfish. It worked fine for years. I just did music over, which I kind of like. However, with a hard point connection every noise in the kayak came through to the camera. I am sure that you have seen YouTube videos where there is excessive noise in the video, such as when the camera is moved to another angle. I now use a Scotty bazooka style tube mounted to a rail. I insert the same Xshot into the tube, except the mount is inserted into pipe insulation then placed into the tube so that the noise is dampened. This should work just fine. I got the idea from some other videos on YouTube. Keep in mind that you will have to be able to get to the camera in order to change the batteries. I started using a Longshot system on my GoPro cameras, which wires them into the kayak 12v battery. This way they run continuously, at least until the 64GB micro SD card is full, which for me is generally an entire fishing trip. You will see my new set up soon, as I am about to start making a few more videos. I have gotten a late start fishing and crabbing this year.

I don't like wearing cameras. With that said, there are hat mounts and body mounts for POV cameras that may also work for you.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-09-2017, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Are you using the G4 SD or HD?

They look interesting, i'm very intrigued
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I am using one of the original models and have used it for at least 4 years. Someday I will move to a newer model. However, the older model keeps chugging along.

Comment

Update on my post here: I used the rod tubes and pipe insulation for the first time on Wednesday. That system almost eliminated all of the annoying sounds. The Xshot in the Scotty rod tube and pipe insulation works really well. I could do voice overs or use the GoPro with sound, with no problem with other noises from a hard connection to the kayak.

Comment

Is there any way you can post a photo?

I'm very curious, and planning to setup the same-way if it eliminates the majority of the output sounds / ambient noise.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              Is there any way you can post a photo?

I'm very curious, and planning to setup the same-way if it eliminates the majority of the output sounds / ambient noise.
              Same here. I'm curious to see your set up and get ideas.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

You can see them in the striper video I recently posted, "Striper Trolling."

Comment

Working...
                X