Hobie help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie help

How do I know what version this drive is?
    Anyone know why the right side fin is lower on the metal rod? I bought mine used so I don't have a manual or guide, what kind of maintenance should I be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod is probably bent

Comment

Drum looks like a V2 based on the shape and the added Hobie logo. Brass inserts on the sprockets would indicate V2 also. If you do a google image search comparing V1 and V2 you can see side by side photos to compare. 100% bent mast - I had that happen with my ST's. As long as it's not in with permanent loctite it should be easy and cheap to replace.

As far as general maintenance, it's typically wash off with freshwater after each use and use a lubricant on the chains.

J

Comment

You don't need to replace that mast arm, just bend it back over. It's going to happen again
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Careful what kind of lube you use. If you get into alot of sand, silt the dirt and grit will stick to the chain and make it crunchy, wear parts out faster
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

V2 and you have a bent mast. You can bend it back (take off split ring, slide fin off, bend from bottom of mast), but it may eventually break so it is a good idea to carry a spare with some blue loctite. I use silicone based lube (break free) bc roadrunner on the old hobie forums recommended it after testing others and it seems to attract and hold less sand and still provide good lubrication.

inspect for cable wear and make sure nuts stay put.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys, is there a recommended lube for the chains?

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                Thanks guys, is there a recommended lube for the chains?

I don't know if it's recommended but I have been using this for years on my Mirage Drive with excellent results:

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-300014-...silicone+spray

I spray it not only on the chain but into all points where there is contact between moving parts. I do that before every trip.

I don't often encounter sand that others mentioned here. I pull my unit well before beaching and paddle into my landings. After outings I rinse the drive with freshwater and blow most of the water off of it with an air compressor. Then I hang it my garage to dry thoroughly.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have been using Blaster Garage Door spray. I carry a pump sprayer filled with fresh water that I use to spray everything down with after I come in off the water. Then when I get home, I spray the Blaster on the drive and then put it up till next time. It's silicone base, dries clear, and is water resistant. Here's a link,
                  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blaster-1-C...iABEgKL-_D_BwE
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                  X