Storing Kayak Outside - Do's & Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Kayak Outside - Do's & Don'ts

I thought an offshoot discussion from the "Outside Kayak Design - What is Everyone Using" thread would be helpful in regards to the Do's and Don'ts when storing a yak outside.

Yak orientation during storage:
    I've heard/read that there are essentially two schools of thought with this. One, store it upside down as you won't have to worry about rain/debris/animals getting into your yak. Another thought is to store it on its side since the side (gunnels?) are considered to be the strongest part of the yak (i.e. little to no flex would occur is it is stored on its side). Thoughts on this?

Yak protection during storage:
    Obviously, the best place to store your yak is underneath some sort of shelter (carport/garage/shed), but if you can't do that, here's what I've read:

1. Store in the shade to protect against UV damage and the hull heating up in full sun causing it to warp
    2. If storing outside it's a good idea to use a yak cover (like the one that Danuu sells). The cover will protect against UV damage, but also protect against debris getting into the cabin of the yak (which can cause nasty mold to occur) and/or animals (snakes, squirrels, etc.) or insects (spiders/bees) from using it. I've also read that you should never tie down your covers using ratchet straps as this will cause the boat to warp badly as it heats up or cools down in the sun/winter. Does anyone use a cover and have thoughts about it?
    3. If storing outside it's a good idea to protect the hull/seat/seals with a UV protectorant. From what I've read, 303 Protectorant Spray is the "go to" choice that people have used on their yaks. However there are others that indicate that 303 does not provide protection very long, is expensive and there are better choices. I've also read people using Car products like Klasse and or Nufinish which are less expensive vs. 303 and some indicate they last longer. Still others suggest using a wax (although many indicate using wax is labor intensive and messy). What are your thoughts about this?

Adding additional advice or lesson's learned to this thread would be much appreciated.

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM.
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

I store my 2 outbacks inside a "pole barn" that was built by the orginal owner using telephone poles as the corner posts- tin roof, rough lumber that was cut off the property- a one inch board is one inch thick...and I built twin rails that the kayak sits upright on just like it floats on the water- covered the rails with indoor/outdoor carpet..had one Outback four years and the other nearly a year...won it in September...no issues at all storing this way- super easy to load and unload...duplicated the twin beams as a system I use in the bed of my pickup truck- same deal- slide it in and out- super easy to load/unload at the launch- 5 minutes and I am gone...never have to lift the weight of the kayak...just stick the bow up on the rails...grab the rear handle and slide the Outback up the rails into the bed of the truck...us old men gotta be smart about preserving our old bones...same deal at home- slide the kayak back a few feet, put the Hobie HD scupper cart on, slide the kayak out on the cart, pull it to the pole barn, put the bow on the rails, slide it up on the rails, close the doors and get a shower...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I recall seeing a kayak (I believe it was at Backyard Boats for repair) where the black rubber handles had been gnawed on extensively by squirrels. Nothing else was damaged. Just the handles. If you use a cover, make sure the rodents cannot get under it to conceal their mischievous ways.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I recall seeing a kayak (I believe it was at Backyard Boats for repair) where the black rubber handles had been gnawed on extensively by squirrels. Nothing else was damaged. Just the handles. If you use a cover, make sure the rodents cannot get under it to conceal their mischievous ways.
        Mark,

That's good advice. The Pro's with a cover is it protects it from the elements, the Con's are you don't necessarily know what is going on underneath the cover....

smithmal
        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
        X