First post Rose haven 8/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post Rose haven 8/6

Been stalking this forum for awhile finally have something to post. For anyone who is reading this who is new to kayak fishing like me the learning curve can be a challenge but keep working the reward is sweet.
    I want to take a second to recognize the accomplishments of all the fisherman on this forum that do so well. It is not easy! After fishing my whole life it's been a struggle for me to adjust and put fish in the boat. Now to the report
    Launched at 6:00am to relatively calm conditions. Cool air temps and low light I was sure the fish would be shallow. After an hour or so of casting to the various piers I was disappointed to not have a bite. Paddled around holland point and found some occasional fish boiling so I started to troll the area. Trolled for 30 minutes or so... no bites. Decided to head back shallow towards the piers and riprap adjacent to the area where I occasionally saw fish boiling. Went to crank in a trolling line with an xrap and a striper (keeper sized) chased it to the rod tip and missed boatside. Wow okay heart is pumping now. Praying that's not the only bite I get. Start fan casting mostly open water with the xrap. Nothing. Reposition kayak to better fish the piers and riprap close to where I missed my bite. First cast towards shore hooked up. 20" striper boated. New personal best from the yak. Kept fouling hooks on bottom and missing hits on the xrap so swapped for a chug bug. First cast new personal best for the yak. 23" rockfish. You haven't lived until you've attempted to land a good fish into the yak with no net or experience doing it. Ended up with 4 over 20" and 3 under all released. I also caught a new personal best 12" white perch. Interestingly all 4 keeper sized fish were caught on different lures. Had to keep switching lures after a few bites because they would stop hitting. Maybe because the water was so shallow and the fish were concentrated? Anyways thank you to all that post! I've learned so much just from reading!
    This was the first time that I didn't wear my GoPro coincidence that this was my best trip I think not

-Shaun
    IMG_6659.JPGIMG_6650.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Shaun!

Next time, don't pass up the breakwater rocks to the left of the launch as you paddle out. You never know what may be hanging out there.

-manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
      Congrats Shaun!

Next time, don't pass up the breakwater rocks to the left of the launch as you paddle out. You never know what may be hanging out there.

Thank you! In my 5 or so trips there I haven't spent enough time over there at that breakwater to be honest. I was concerned about the weekend boat traffic coming outta there. I need to get my fishfinder hooked up and explore the inlet to the marina it looks fishy.

Comment

Yeah, boat traffic is an issue, so get there early (I.e. Sunrise) before the boats start heading out.
        Then work the piers and other areas once the traffic is too much.

-manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Shaun,

Shallow water casting is my favorite way to fish. I really enjoyed your report.

You had a terrific outing.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks for the report. It's good to hear of fish coming from your part of the bay!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

murphys law, you always forget the camera or fresh batteries or an sd card, and its always the BEST fishing outing. Glad to see the two pictures posted, and congrats on your PB.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

See how easy this is...just cast and reel...nothing to it...just kidding...congratulations on sticking to it and not getting frustrated and giving up...every trip will add to your reservoir of knowledge and experience...no one has all the answers and no one catches fish all the time...Lady Luck smiles on those prepared to succeed...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    See how easy this is...just cast and reel...nothing to it...just kidding...congratulations on sticking to it and not getting frustrated and giving up...every trip will add to your reservoir of knowledge and experience...no one has all the answers and no one catches fish all the time...Lady Luck smiles on those prepared to succeed...
                    I agree. I for one have been making this too difficult. This came down to making a good cast to a dock. Pretty much how everyone learns to fish. The important thing was not missing the signs that were out there leading in the right direction. Current, structure, birds, splashes, bait and familiar situations that give confidence. Too often I miss the simple in pursuit of the grand.
                    I forgot to include another personal best. I managed to lose only one lure on this trip.

Comment

Congratulations, nice report

Comment

Working...
                      X