Cheap Pelican Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Pelican Kayak?

I'm looking at possibly getting a cheap 10' Pelican kayak. I was wondering if anyone has used one and what they thought of them.

Be aware this will be a once in a while use for a specific purpose. We have found a couple ponds we want to fish that are basically only accessible from a boat. We want these small light kayaks to be able to load them on my bass boat. The drive is about 15 miles by water and intend to beach the boat and unload the kayaks. We then hoof the kayaks through the woods to a secluded pond. Because of these circumstances and their limited use we want to the boats to be 10' long, less then 45# and cheap.

Secondly has anyone bought one of these boats as a first kayak and want to get rid of them?
    Last edited by willf650; 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

I sold mine last fall, unfortunately. I had a 10' Pelican Apex 100. Overall, I thought it was okay. The seat was terribly uncomfortable for my back, but it was fairly stable and easy to paddle. But they are cheap and easy to move around. I think empty it was 47 lbs. For what you're planning on doing with it, that kayak should work.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

There's one available with paddle and rack on CL right now (maybe that was the one you were buying?):

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...253840298.html

Not sure what type the paddle is, but the Trackers are going for $300 brand new at Dicks:
      https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...caAmMGEALw_wcB so you might be able to talk the guy down...

smithmal
      smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
      Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

I have the Pelican 100x....sit on top. It is light and I can really get it moving. It has limited weight capacity, compared to my Outback. It is stable and great for flat water and narrow water. I wouldn't take it out with waves or wakes, as it rides lower in the water. For the purpose you stated, it would be perfect.
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

I had one I used as a "quick trip, grab and go yak" for many of the same reasons you listed. It only had a capacity of 300lbs so with me being 220 it sat pretty low in the water. For small lakes and ponds it did the job and it was cheap. My only major complaint is the foot room. I have a size 13 shoe and had to keep my feet at an angle and after some time that was VERY annoying. If you can I would look to pick up a used old town trip/vapor 10 much better cockpit. They run about 500 new but can usually find one for 300 or so used. The vapor 10 was my first kayak and I wish I never sold it. It makes a way better grab and go bass kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
            I had one I used as a "quick trip, grab and go yak" for many of the same reasons you listed. It only had a capacity of 300lbs so with me being 220 it sat pretty low in the water. For small lakes and ponds it did the job and it was cheap. My only major complaint is the foot room. I have a size 13 shoe and had to keep my feet at an angle and after some time that was VERY annoying. If you can I would look to pick up a used old town trip/vapor 10 much better cockpit. They run about 500 new but can usually find one for 300 or so used. The vapor 10 was my first kayak and I wish I never sold it. It makes a way better grab and go bass kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I looked at some of the Old Town kayaks in the store today and no doubt they are better kayaks. They are at least 10# heavier when I picked them up in comparison to the Pelican. Honestly they are way out of the price range we are looking at. I have 4 real kayaks currently and wasn't looking for another one, just a more less disposable kayak.

I have found s bunch of the Pelicans on Craigslist and some friends and I are about to throw a guy an offer on a group of them he is selling. They are basically the ones Dicks has on sale tight now for $199.99. We were trying to stay under $200 for a used boat. After looking at Craigslist some of these people are way off base. They want more then I can go to the store and buy one of those new Pelican kayaks for.
            2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Just come out and say it --- You want to be able to run with it, if you have too LOL
              Captian of the plastic Navy
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                I looked at some of the Old Town kayaks in the store today and no doubt they are better kayaks. They are at least 10# heavier when I picked them up in comparison to the Pelican. Honestly they are way out of the price range we are looking at. I have 4 real kayaks currently and wasn't looking for another one, just a more less disposable kayak.

I have found s bunch of the Pelicans on Craigslist and some friends and I are about to throw a guy an offer on a group of them he is selling. They are basically the ones Dicks has on sale tight now for $199.99. We were trying to stay under $200 for a used boat. After looking at Craigslist some of these people are way off base. They want more then I can go to the store and buy one of those new Pelican kayaks for.
                Yeah... it's always interesting to see what people think their kayaks are worth. You can definitely get some good deals on CL, but if you don't do your research, you can also get screwed. I'd say for a yak like the Pelicans unless you are able to get a decent deal on a well maintained yak ($100-$150) you might as well get it new. Dick's has some 20% - 30% off coupons that come and go from time to time making getting a new one even more sensible.

smithmal
                smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                  Just come out and say it --- You want to be able to run with it, if you have too LOL
                  In one location I'm thinking about there may be some truth to that.

The primary pond I want to reach is actually on public game lands that you need to have a non-hunting trespassing permit to be on. I have that permit so no worries there. The issue is the pond is basically land locked by private property with the exception of a long walk, about a mile via google earth, down an unmaintained access road. The grass and thorns are at chest height as we attempted to reach it two years ago.

Last time I went to a pond with access similar to this one was about 2 months ago and I fished it on foot. The walk was only 1/3 mile and I was picking ticks off myself the whole time there. I pulled the car over on the ride home due to crawling feelings and pulled off more 5 ticks and then picked off another 8 at home as I showered. I'm not going through that again.
                  2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Ticks and Chiggers,, hate em. spent 3 years on antib's because of Lyme.
                    I now buy permitherin at the feed store and treat al my outdoor cloths.

Do you do any river fishing with the Coosa HD ?

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                    In one location I'm thinking about there may be some truth to that.

The primary pond I want to reach is actually on public game lands that you need to have a non-hunting trespassing permit to be on. I have that permit so no worries there. The issue is the pond is basically land locked by private property with the exception of a long walk, about a mile via google earth, down an unmaintained access road. The grass and thorns are at chest height as we attempted to reach it two years ago.

Last time I went to a pond with access similar to this one was about 2 months ago and I fished it on foot. The walk was only 1/3 mile and I was picking ticks off myself the whole time there. I pulled the car over on the ride home due to crawling feelings and pulled off more 5 ticks and then picked off another 8 at home as I showered. I'm not going through that again.
                    Captian of the plastic Navy
                    1 - Mad River Canoes
                    1- Tarpon 120
                    1- Redfish 10
                    1- Coosa HD
                    2- Cuda 12
                    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                      Do you do any river fishing with the Coosa HD ?
                      I've been below the conowingo dam but for the most part no. I would love to hit some rivers but getting some one to go is a pain.

Here's my new pos

I'm putting two rod holders in it tomorrow and we are going to load them on the boat and hit the pond Sunday. This pond better be worth it after all this effort.

Here the sight we were rewarded with after we scoped it out by boat last week.
                      EE4B9582-3443-45C9-920F-35B68BB63145 - Copy.jpg

In the end trying to deal with people off Craigslist wasn't worth my time to save $50

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by willf650; 08-11-2017, 08:10 PM.
                      2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Cheap Pelican Kayak?

I'll bump this to the top in case anyone else wants a cheap and super light yak. The main reason for this bump is to say that I got an email from Dick's and they are selling the 10' Pelican kayak with rod holders for $174 and the one like I purchased for $124. If I had space I would pick up a second one for friends to use.

The specs on the two kayaks indicate they are different but my buddy got the one with rod holders and mine was without and the hulls are identical except in color and the lack of rod holders and a paddle holder. The one minus the rod holders has little divots in all the locations you need to drill holes for the rod holders and paddle holder. Using these to center the drill bit makes it a simple task to equip the kayak. There is even a line molded into the hull to index the rod holders to the same angle.

I'm a fat dude so by the time I load up with gear I'm at this boats limit and never worried about it tipping. Its a nice boat for the money and I've used it as much as my other boats since I got it for the simple fact it's so easy to deal with. It's getting me back to what it was like when I picked up my first kayak to fish from in the early 90's. These Pelican kayaks are less than 40# and I've hoofed them a fair distance with two piece rods tucked inside along with my gear.

This is the closet photo I have showing the rod holders installed. The black line next to me just above the water line is the paddle holder I installed. It's simply a piece of 1/4" bungee cord stretched between two holes and a hook on the deck in the center. All the spots to drill for the paddle holder are also marked with divots in the hull.
                        Last edited by willf650; 10-03-2017, 10:05 PM.
                        2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Working...
                        X