Haven't Posted in Quite a While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't Posted in Quite a While

Hello to all. Due to work, kids, and other "distractions" it's been a while since I've had anything to share, but always appreciate reading everyone's posts and feedback.

I've fairly recently moved to Kent Island, from Annapolis, but continued to fish the three creeks and bay within Whitehall out of my Tarpon 120 and out of convenience due to the waterfront launch option I have. That changed when I finally purchased a mirage (last weekend) and decided that this yak wouldn't see the western shore right away and I would take on the task of figuring out new water from the various public launch options on the island.

In an effort to keep this post short, I've been blessed with quite a bit of success right out of the gate. I attribute it all to the new yak to help ease the funding pain with my very accommodating Mrs. She gets how passionate I am with kayak fishing and it's no secret how much of an introvert I am, so there isn't really any "similar amount of investment could help afford a boat for the whole family to enjoy" conversation struggle, although a legitimate position.

Ok, I'm not doing a good job of keeping this short. To summarize and provide more pertinent input, after some topographical research and very accommodating conditions this morning, I launched from Romancoke at 0530 this morning and headed for the southern point of Kent Island. I ended up focusing on a spot that had shelves alongside a deep trough (picture a narrow underwater tongue formation) and began trolling two simple jig heads with 4" chartreuse paddle tails. I was fortunate to enjoy some significant returns on planned studied approach. Albeit, mostly shorties, I did manage one 24" fatty and a 20" sibling among the 18-19 releases. Crossing between 8-9' of water, over 20' dips, and back up on 6-7 feet of water. Jigs couldn't have been deeper than 5' or so. I usually put trolling away this time of year and simply seek out a trophy WP, so the culmination of all of these changes has been blessing for sure. BTW, both of these guys had some sea lice so the belief is that they are not year round residents.

Anyway, once I get a better and more confident handle on multiple target options within my newer AOO, I will circle back to invite those that are interested. Between the need to give back to our relatively small community and share the excitement of new waters, even this much of an introvert can shed some skin.

Safe and successful travels to each of you.

That's a great welcome back report. Glad to have you back in the "Mix" I love that area around Kent Island, and a few of the SL guys, hit Goodhands on a regular basis.
    I hope to catch you on the water this year.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Nice report! I live on Kent Island and am fairly new to the area so early on the learning curve. Hit me up if you might have any interest in fishing together sometime - I find it better to fish with a partner rather than fishing alone. I have a Slayer propel kayak that works well for me.

Comment

Thank you, both. I have an OBX family trip next week and leaving early Sunday morning, but will reach back out to you when back and ready to hit Eastern Bay again. Looking forward to next week as I will be doing a couple of trips (near shore and Sound) with Rob Alderman (outerbankskayakfishing.com) to help figure out some waters down there. Not the best time of year for near and inshore fishing, but hope to get into some blues, spanish, flounder, and possibly reds. Blues and spanish are usually plenty prevalent near shore around this time, but I've only ever caught them there from boat. I have not tried any inshore yet, so I think that should be $ well spent to be guided at least once. I will post results as the OBX thread pops back up almost every year by this time.

Comment

Great report. IMHO, spending time with you kids and doing well at your job--is time well spent. Welcome back!

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
          X