Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Big Tarpon & Speck in Chesapeake Bay (Aug 5, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Tarpon & Speck in Chesapeake Bay (Aug 5, 2017)

A Miracle did happen.

2 Weeks ago, I finally got the first skunk in cobia fishing. That was my 8th cobia fishing this year and I expected.
    After that, as I planned for this year fishing, I was looking for a good August trout water in VA.

I launched from Ingram Bay Marina, Heathsville, VA (Northern Neck). Along the shore there were wooden jetties in front of the houses (almost all houses). I fished the jetties. There I could catch specks. I heard that the place is a hot speck spot in August.
    I also fished Dameron Marsh Natural Area Preserve - about 2 miles off the marina. There, I caught a huge tarpon. Yes, a miracle did happen.

At the marsh, the wind picked up. Instead of 8 MPH, it was blowing at 15-20 MPH. So, I went into a small cove (calm water) for a pit stop. I forgot that I was trolling a Mirro-Lure that time. So the MirroLure was still on the bottom at around the mouth of the cove, I think.
    When I was walking away from the kayak without my helmet camera for a break, I heard a huge splash, and I saw a bent rod on the kayak.
    I ran and picked up the rod. Then I saw a huge shiny fish jumped and landed on a very shallow water.
    Instinctively, I ran toward the fish. I knew that I couldn’t land the fish with my tackle (a large mouth bass rod and reel combo with 20# test braided). When I recognized a huge tarpon side-flapping to get back to the deeper water, I tackled the tarpon.

I pushed and pushed the tarpon to keep it in the shallow water for a long time until the tarpon got very tired. I was tired too, and very cold.
    When the tarpon was very tired, I could bring it to the kayak where the cameras were.

I was very overwhelmed that time, and I am still overwhelmed.
    This may be the first record of Tarpon in Northern Neck, VA. I am wondering if there were tarpon records in Chesapeake Bay.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

No way!

You stink man, haha!

I've done two tarpon trips this summer on the seaside of ESVA. I paddled 20 miles total roundtrip, saw some tarpon roll, one jump completely out of the water, but couldn't find any feeders willing to eat my bait; just big sharks and big rays.

Truly an amazing catch! Congrats!
    Brian

Comment

Congratulations Joe, you have achieved what the best kayak fisherman in our fishery have been trying for years to do. The way you did it will never be topped! That has to be the most incredible catch of all time! I know of several kayak anglers (myself included) that have been targeting those fish for years with no success, but the quest to be the first has ended, and you have become the first kayaker to land a tarpon!

Comment

What a truly incredible catch! Congrats!

Comment

Well that's pretty damn cool!! Nicely done
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Congratulations Joe! Tarpon tackling could be the newest kayak fishing technique in the bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            J

Comment

Wow... congrats! If anyone deserves a tarpon, it is you. You put in the time and effort.

Impressive. I didn't know tarpons are up in VA waters, I was thinking Florida...
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

What a story!

What a catch!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Wow! That is an amazing catch. Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

I have never landed a big tarpon...had dozens on...and off...and on and off...little ones don't count...kinda like bull reds and puppy drum..super catch...especially on how rare these big fish are in the Bay- and on the western shore that far north- used to be the eastern shore around Oyster was thought to be their only Virgina habitat...congratulations, Joe..you and those Mirro-lures...trolling no less...love watching you catch speck in Owl's Creek with them...
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Congrats, Joe. That is a series of events that I would dream up after drinking 6 beers in the middle of February; dreaming of summer. Unbelievable.
                      Last edited by RavensDfense; 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

This is unreal!!!! If they're in there, there's no reason they aren't up the potomac.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          A Miracle did happen.
                          This may be the first record of Tarpon in Northern Neck, VA. I am wondering if there were tarpon records in Chesapeake Bay.
                          You could look through the citation logs back over time to see if any have ever been caught up there. There are already two tarpon for 2017 that have been "reported" from the Eastern Shore side of the Chesapeake. But much further south then yours.

You should apply for a citation too.

Congrats again man!
                          Brian

Comment

Holy Crap!!!!!! Awesome
                            Jay

10' Green Slayer
                            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Unbelievable!!
                              www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                              Travel. Explore. Fish.