Indian River Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian River Bay

Hey guys, I'm in Ocean View, DE and trying to get a handle on the Indian River Bay. I talked to the guys at Old Inlet Bait & Tackle to try and get a feel for what I should focus on and where I should focus. They told me I should find some small rockfish and flounder - but when I explained that I was fishing from a kayak and where I'd be putting in I don't think they quite understood and because they were busy I didn't stick around to have a longer conversation. I put in today at noon just to try and get an idea for what was around the closest launch to me (Walter Point area) and it was too windy and rough to do much. I tried doing a little jigging for flounder but it was pretty useless, it was a constant battle against the wind and waves.

Anyway, I get the feeling that I'm not fishing in an area the holds fish. The charts I've seen show the IR Bay as being super shallow so I'm totally out of my element. At this point I'd be happy with ANY fish. I can troll for rock in the Severn and SPSP any time so I'd really rather target flounder. I attached a map of where I was today, should I be putting in somewhere else to catch them? Old Inlet Bait & Tackle told me to jig with Gulp, a tactic I'm pretty comfy/familiar with.

IndianRiverBay1.jpgIndianRiverBay2.jpg
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Justin, you could try a couple of other places. Launch at the public boat ramp on the north side of the bridge. Fish around the back of Burton's Is. Which is the island just west of the ramp. The points with current will hold rock. The mouth of creeks will also work for rock, and as they flow out into a flat look for speckled early and late in the day. Massey's Landng ramp over by Pot Nets will offer flounder, but boat traffic is high. Avoid the Savage Ditch kayak launch 1 1/2miles north of the bridge. It is a mud hole at any time but high tide, no fun dragging 150 yards of stinky calf deep mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
      Justin, you could try a couple of other places. Launch at the public boat ramp on the north side of the bridge. Fish around the back of Burton's Is. Which is the island just west of the ramp. The points with current will hold rock. The mouth of creeks will also work for rock, and as they flow out into a flat look for speckled early and late in the day. Massey's Landng ramp over by Pot Nets will offer flounder, but boat traffic is high. Avoid the Savage Ditch kayak launch 1 1/2miles north of the bridge. It is a mud hole at any time but high tide, no fun dragging 150 yards of stinky calf deep mud.
      Ouch, Flounder is what I'd like to Target but it's a 42 min ride to Massey's Landing...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by jmt1980; 08-05-2017, 08:57 PM.
      - Justin
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I get that, the Lewes canal is another place, but that beach traffic on Rt. 1 is a bear this time of year. You might be able to get in a couple of drifts from the bridge launch on the north side just after dead low tide on the incoming tide before the paddle against the current is too much. Try the channel ledges, you should find some flaties hanging there. But, be careful the IR has a nasty coeffient, and the power boaters are not always the most alert bunch. Good luck ��

Comment

Thanks I appreciate the tips!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
          - Justin
          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
          X